BBQTalk.ca

THE BEST IN BBQ

Gum Ball Tree wood

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all topics including vending, catering, equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Gum Ball Tree wood

Postby StevenT » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:17 am

Hello all. I live in Virginia and hurricane Irene left me with three Gum Ball trees down in the back yard. It is a very hard wood next to impossible to split. But I have lots of large branches I could cut and use for smoking. I was wondering if anyone has used it for smoking pork or beef and what kind of flavor it gives meat? Thanks, Steven
StevenT
Dishwasher

Gum Ball Tree wood

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Gum Ball Tree wood

Postby ThisLittlePiggy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi StevenT,

Sorry to hear you got hit - hopefully the trees were the limit of the damage.

Please, please, please, don't use Gumball (aka Sweetgum) wood to smoke food. I've seen it on several lists of woods to *not* use for food smoking because you risk making yourself sick. I believe it has something to do with it's high amount of shikimic acid.

It is safe for firewood (although from the sounds of things, burns really quickly after it's been seasoned) - but you don't want to expose food to it.
ThisLittlePiggy
Gofor

Return to Barbecue and Grilling - All Things BBQ