K.I.S.S. Pork Butt

Spareribs, loin back ribs, pork butt, picnic, ham, loin roasts, sausage making, bacon, cures etc... anything pork

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Tatersalad
Beer Wench
The middle number please (3): 5

K.I.S.S. Pork Butt

Post by Tatersalad » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:30 pm

I always try all kinds off weird things when smoking meat that require alot of ingredients and attention. Today, I decided to K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) and I was totally impressed with the outcome. Here is what I did....
I rubbed my pork butt down with mustard, then applied a generous coating of garlic powder, then salted, peppered it as well as put some oregano on it. Then I fired up the smoker with some local oak wood. I placed the butt on and smoked it till it reached 140 degrees. then I wrapped it in aluminum foil and continued cooking till it reached 180 degrees. This produced an awesome piece of meat. Maybe in the future I will try to keep it simpler than I have in the past. :D

Cheech
Rib Rubber

Post by Cheech » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:51 am

Glad that you enjoyed your experiment. Nice when your efforts pay off. May I ask why you wrapped it? Was it getting too dark?

Tracy

Tatersalad
Beer Wench

Post by Tatersalad » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:02 pm

Just experimenting with the tenderness..... and it definately worked! Although if I don't wrap it, I get sort of a nice little carmelized crust from the mustard. Wrapping it just makes the crust soft.

Smoke & a Pancake
Beer Wench

Post by Smoke & a Pancake » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:23 pm

Do you cook with the fat cap up or down?
I've heard either but not the arguments behind them.

thanks
Grayson
Team Ohly Smokes
http://www.ohlysmokes.com/

Christopher
Rib Rubber

Post by Christopher » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:10 pm

Smoke & a Pancake wrote:Do you cook with the fat cap up or down?
I've heard either but not the arguments behind them.

thanks
I prefer to trim most of the fat cap off. There is so much fat inside the butt that you don't really need external fat. In my opinion, keeping the fat cap takes away from your bark.

Here's what mine look like when trimmed:

Smoke & a Pancake
Beer Wench

Post by Smoke & a Pancake » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:02 pm

I'll give that a try.
thanks
Grayson
Team Ohly Smokes
http://www.ohlysmokes.com/

ROXY
Pit Master

Re: K.I.S.S. Pork Butt

Post by ROXY » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:15 pm

Tatersalad wrote:I always try all kinds off weird things when smoking meat that require alot of ingredients and attention. Today, I decided to K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) and I was totally impressed with the outcome. Here is what I did....
I rubbed my pork butt down with mustard, then applied a generous coating of garlic powder, then salted, peppered it as well as put some oregano on it. Then I fired up the smoker with some local oak wood. I placed the butt on and smoked it till it reached 140 degrees. then I wrapped it in aluminum foil and continued cooking till it reached 180 degrees. This produced an awesome piece of meat. Maybe in the future I will try to keep it simpler than I have in the past. :D
I have found that it is best to take the meat to at least 195 degrees if you intend to pull the meat for traditional pulled pork. You can also go a bunch of degrees more before you wrap the butt.. Like 165 to 170 with no side effects except more smoke ring. Legend has it that the smoke ring will develop until the meat hits 140 degrees... Dont know if thats true or not.

Got to get yourself a digital camera and post some pix. :wink: