Brisket...

Brisket, back ribs, rib roast, chuck roll, shoulder clod, tri-tip, sirloin, meatloaf etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

jim235
Runner
The middle number please (3): 5

Post by jim235 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:30 pm

Peter...the only problem I have with Tender Quick, is I haven't (yet) found any source to buy it from! I hope, to hear back from Windsor salt (sister company with Morton's), with a possible source within a 'reasonable' distance from here. At this new stage of all this...don't want to get into mail ordering, and working out differences with products, etc. None of my local butcher's carry/use such. But, have found one that does in Ptbo. ...hope to go and check that out tomorrow. Thanks!

grillwithskill
Dishwasher
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: Brisket...

Post by grillwithskill » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:39 pm

jim235 wrote:suggestions, for a rub? Also approx. cooking time and good internal finish temp please!
Here's my favorite rub for brisket, or just about anything else...
ust thought I would share a recipe for my favorite bbq rub. I wish I could say I came up with it myself, but it comes form Mike Mills, 3 time champion of the International Memphis in May BBQ Cook-Off (otherwise known as the "Superbowl of BBQ")

It's called Magic Dust. I like to use this as a starting point and then tweak it to my own tastes:

Makes about 2 1/2 cups

1/2 cup paprika

1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground

1/4 cup sugar

2 tablespoons mustard powder

1/4 cup chili powder

1/4 cup ground cumin

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

1/4 cup granulated garlic

2 tablespoons cayenne

Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly covered container.

Mike says, "You'll want to keep some in a shaker next to the grill or stove. Keeps indefinitely but won't last long."

I have used it on Brisket, Ribs, Chicken and just about anyplace you might use salt and pepper - great stuff.