South African Biltong

Brisket, back ribs, rib roast, chuck roll, shoulder clod, tri-tip, sirloin, meatloaf etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

BeeJayS BBQ
Gofor
The middle number please (3): 5

South African Biltong

Post by BeeJayS BBQ » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:45 pm

Has anyone cooks this before? Can this be smoked or strictly in cold room? Sounds pretty tasty so I would like to try.

They mention in the link below to hang meat in cold room until outer layer is crispy and inside is tender? Kinda green at this technique. Can meat be hung in cold storage or basement? What temp? I would think that it would stay in the danger zone too long, no?

http://www.africhef.com/Biltong-Recipe.html

carolinesrub
Rank Amateur

Post by carolinesrub » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:12 pm

From what I understand, it is the cold air drying (as well as the spices) that makes this distinct from beef jerky...I personally have never had it smoked, or seen anywhere that smokes it.

Now this isn't to say it shouldn't or couldn't be done...give it a try, maybe with a cold smoke and then hang to dry.

Worst case, you end up with really good jerky!!
Joe Johnson
Co-Founder / COO
Caroline's Rub
Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, & Texas Chili Seasoning
http://www.carolinesrub.com

BeeJayS BBQ
Gofor

Post by BeeJayS BBQ » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:42 pm

True...Jerky is always good.

I will try Biltong the original method one of these days. My brother-in-law has been working on boats for over 10 years and has been many places and he said Biltong is the Cat's A$$ everywhere he goes.
He's in Ft-Lauderdale right now and he said that people are paying crazy $$ for it.. Just would be neat to try it to see what all the fuss is about.

Have you eaten some Joe?

ProBBQ
Chicken Choker

Post by ProBBQ » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:22 pm

Biltong is air-dried (usually warm air, as it's a southern African delicacy)meat.
The basics are very simple:
Soak the strips of meat in vinegar (the strips are normally about a 1/4 inch thick and as long as you can make them).
Pat them dry sprinkle your favorite spices on, and layer the strips in a shallow dish. Spices used... coarse ground Pepper, salt, coriander, paprika, cayenne pepper, but use whatever blows your hair back. Refrigerate overnight.
You then need to hang the strips in a warm dry enviroment, and a skin should form on the first day (in Africa, this is a crucial stage, as it prevents the flys from laying eggs).
Dependant on how warm and dry it is, the Biltong should be ready to eat in 4 - 7 days.
It is really nice, and one of the things I miss most.
Biltong is generally made from beef, but game meat is also good.

A good site for more info here http://www.biltongbox.com/
Ian

Stacked & Smokin Hot!
www.probbq.co.uk

Trev
Pork Puller

Re: South African Biltong

Post by Trev » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:25 am

I know this thread is going back a couple years now, but if you're ever in Oakville there's a shop called 'Florence Meats' and these folks are from South Africa. They have a huge amount of Biltong in varying sizes and man, is it every tasty stuff! Also, they're really nice and easy to deal with in there.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.