Looking for a basting/mop sauce for chicken

Chicken, turkey, game hen, water fowl etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

manningpark
Dishwasher
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Looking for a basting/mop sauce for chicken

Post by manningpark » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:33 pm

I got this basting sauce from a friend who would not tell me what was in this awesome sauce for chicken halves and quarters. She told it had a soy base to it, it smelled like it had some type of hard liquor in it. She said it is cooked for a bit and strained to remove any lumps before placed in a spray bottle . It also has garlic powder and nothing sweet i assume as it does not burn the skin at all either?? in it and i am not sure of the rest. The chicken is placed on racks and placed on a charcoal pit (18 inches away from the charcoal) They use this type also at the PNE(fair) in Vancouver as well, does anybody know of such recipe. The sauce looks like there might be a tiny bit of somekind of oil or butter in it as the top of the sauce after it sits awhile seems to have a scant of layer on it.

Diva Q
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: Looking for a basting/mop sauce for chicken

Post by Diva Q » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:07 am

not sure about her recipe but I have used this one in the past and its terrific from the TVWB Forum
ROADSIDE CHICKEN
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt
Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marrinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2-8 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every 5 min to both sides and turn every 5-10 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the kettle but i think it would do well on the WSM (Larry used it) with no water pan and a high heat cook. I usally add one small piece of apple wood while grilling also. Hope you like it. Enjoy
EDIT: If you are going to marinate the chicken first, then leave the oil out for the marinade proccess. Make up a fresh batch for basting the chicken with the oil in the sauce
http://www.divaQ.ca
Visit my blog http://www.divaqbbq.blogspot.com

Traeger Canada
Hovey's Gourmet Meats
Basques Hardwood Lump Charcoal
Big Rock Brewery
Alcan

Rob R
Gofor

Post by Rob R » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:37 am

Diva beat me to it... It's not what you came here looking for but that Roadside chicken technique / mop is awesome stuff. It's definitely worth a try.

stevo
Runner

Post by stevo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:14 pm

hey Diva Q, sounds great. I will try this technique next chicken thigh cook. Every 5 minutes eh? I always found my bird to be best with dry rub and no touchy!! Yours it the total opposite. I assume you recomend a higher temp. for example medium direct heat??

OK just took the thighs out of the chill chest for tomorrow..... I have to take the lap top out in the garage if I'm going to read the recipe section :shock: :shock: No more kitchen table.
sit down, shut up and smoke some butts!!!!

doogster
Chicken Choker
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Post by doogster » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:24 am

A little off topic, I got one of those el cheapo silicone basting brushed, cost something under 2 bucks at WalMart, you might even find them in the dollar store. Used it to apply the wing sauce to my drumsticks (hey it's still chicken) and it worked really well. I like the fact that these can be cleaned thoroughly, even in the dishwasher, mine has a high temp wash cycle that essentially sterilizes things. Great if you're apply bastes to raw poultry.
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.

stevo
Runner

Post by stevo » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:57 am

Oh for the record Diva, the roadside was great. Kinda unique process but turns out good eats.
sit down, shut up and smoke some butts!!!!