Dried Chipoltes (DIY powder)

Dry and wet rubs, basting and finishing sauces, glazes, mops, marinades, flavor brines, and injection solutions.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

J.Shaft
Gofor

Dried Chipoltes (DIY powder)

Post by J.Shaft » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:57 pm

I have seen Chipotle powder online for sale and contemplated buying it, but typically the freight is more then the powder... and that chafes my ass!

So you can imagine my excitement when i was in a local small grocery store and saw small bags of dried chipotles!! I think it ran about 7 bucks for 6 oz's. But after a few seconds in the grinder I now have my own powder!

They also carried dried Habenero's but I'm not nearly that brave. haha. For those in Guelph or area, they were found at the "Market Fresh" downtown.

J.Shaft
Gofor

Post by J.Shaft » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:00 pm

dang.. can't edit my first post.

I just wanted to mention that these small places can be a gold mine for spices and seasonings, so have a look.

Also in downtown Guelph, The Stone Store has a great selection of herbs that seem VERY fresh and can be bought in bulk (so you can try a little if you are unsure).

acguy
Gofor
The middle number please (3): 5

Post by acguy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:21 pm

We are in Guelph this weekend for a girls fastpitch tournament. Could you give me some directions or addresses for these places. Much appreciated.
A bad day BBQing beats a good day at work anytime.

J.Shaft
Gofor

Post by J.Shaft » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:56 pm

The good news is that they are both about 2 minutes walking distance apart

This the map link to The Market Fresh

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=market+fresh&near=Guelph,+ON&fb=1&cid=0,0,6507670931522804888&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image

This is "The Stone Store". It's an "organic" kinda tree huggin store... but I do like their herbs!! haha (it's a very Guelph store)

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=the+stone+store&near=Guelph,+ON&fb=1&cid=0,0,14692659484553363188&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image

acguy
Gofor

Post by acguy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:13 pm

Thanks for those links.
A bad day BBQing beats a good day at work anytime.

J.Shaft
Gofor

Post by J.Shaft » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:58 pm

Just anoter spice update...

I was downtown Kitchener tonight and was in "David's Gourmet" (i think that was the name) right on King St.

In the spice area I noticed they the same brand of chile's I found here in Guelph, but only a MUCH larger selection (and in powder form). Everything from Habenero to Chipotle to Ancho.. and even more.

I'm not sure on the prices as the display was missing them (I'm sure it won't be cheap), but it's another place to look if you are ever in the area. Can never have too many sources!!

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:17 am

hello, I'm also considering making my own chipotle powder this fall. I've got several jalapeno plants and they're loaded, so I plan to let a couple dozen peppers mature to red and then give it a go on the kettle. I was going to do a little picture essay of it but we'll see how it goes.

stevo
Runner

Post by stevo » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:52 pm

Hey trev

The inlaws work a greenhouse in Leamington and they had a few extra POUNDS on Japs so they gave them to me thinking that I would eat them like candy. Well ya after the first one I found that I wasn't as tough as I thought I was. Well now what do I do with them :?: :?: ABT's of course but there was still about 30 - 40 left after the ABT's were made. The smoker was runnin so I threw them on. Smoked them for about 6hrs. Took them off and put them in the oven for a few more on the "Jerky setting". Got them dry enough to grind. Put the gloves and dust mask on and started grinding with the spice grinder. Made alot of powder and it tasts good too.
sit down, shut up and smoke some butts!!!!

roastntoast
Chicken Choker

Post by roastntoast » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:32 pm

Hey Stevo . I did Habenerro power and Chilli powder last week . Same thing turn out awsome. If anybody wants some Habanero powder let me know . I have a bit extra ,but ya do not need much to get it extremly hot.

stevo
Runner

Post by stevo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:21 am

Hey roast, don't think I could handle habs. That makes my mouth burn just thinking about it. How is the tast?? We have a time share in Cancun and I buy a couple bottles of a Habenerro hot sauce to bring home. I love the tast of habs but the heat scares me. Can you get the tast in rubs without an overload of heat??

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:41 pm

stevo wrote:Hey trev

The inlaws work a greenhouse in Leamington and they had a few extra POUNDS on Japs so they gave them to me thinking that I would eat them like candy. Well ya after the first one I found that I wasn't as tough as I thought I was. Well now what do I do with them :?: :?: ABT's of course but there was still about 30 - 40 left after the ABT's were made. The smoker was runnin so I threw them on. Smoked them for about 6hrs. Took them off and put them in the oven for a few more on the "Jerky setting". Got them dry enough to grind. Put the gloves and dust mask on and started grinding with the spice grinder. Made alot of powder and it tasts good too.

Hi Stevo, a few extra POUNDS?! :shock: LOL! Now that's a crop of japs! I thought I really had something going with my 6 or 7 plants! :P
I did eventually make some chipotle powder and man is it something; It's far more powerful than I expected it would be. I got an accidental hit of it when I was grinding it up and it was almost too much for me-- and I like spicey food, too.
I did some chilis at the same time and they pack quite a punch. They have a very limited use, but it sure is nice to have around when you need that special kind of smokey-heat.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

stevo
Runner

Post by stevo » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:17 am

ya limited use isn't the word. I used mine for the first time last weekend. I caramelize sweet onions for my beans and added a pinch. heat isn't the word. I figure it would be good for some sauces or something. Something that you can warn people of it being hot. You can't really add it to your everyday rubs because the people you cook for would have to like it no matter what. I was thinking of making a couple finishing rubs that you can put on a wet rib after they come out of the smoker. Just a little sprinkle to add some flavor. Make a hot, mild and stupid hot or something. The pepper would be good for that.