1 habanero pepper
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons pickling spice
2 teaspoons sugar
1 medium onion, minced
2 cloves garlic minced

Eggs:
Cover with water and heat to just boiling over medium-high heat. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 10 min. Drain water from eggs. Now take the hot eggs one by one and crack them with a spoon or just whack them on the counter and drop them into a pot of cold water. This makes them much easier to peel whole. Place eggs in refrigerator overnight to chill. Pickling Mixture: This is the basic mixture, as with BBQ sauce, feel free to improvise: ground mustard, hot sauce, chipotle peppers, curry, red pepper flakes, white pepper, whatever sounds good. Bring the entire mixture to a boil for approx. 10 min. Pour over peeled, chilled eggs, a large mason jar holds about 1 doz. small eggs. Seal lid and place in fridge. They're good the next day, even better the next and the next. I'm not sure if the refrigerator is necessary or if it's just because they're better cold.
Personal Blog: www.bbq-is-a-way-of-life.blogspot.com

JUST LOVIN BBQ WITH A GREAT GLASS OF WINE

Cramden
Gofor
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Re: Pickled Eggs

Post by Cramden » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:18 am

Just wondering?
Was going back in the entries and found your pickled egg recipie. Been promising myself to try this for a long time and will this weekend.
About keeping them refridgerated. I'm old enough to remember when the taverns and hotels kept a huge jar of pickled eggs out on the bar all day long. Didn't seem to bother them, but I'm no expert.
Thanks for all the ideas Hippie.

Cheers
Cramden
"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch!"

Hippieforever99
Pit Master
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: Pickled Eggs

Post by Hippieforever99 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:53 pm

Hey Cramden

Let me know how you like them as I think you will enjoy them alot. As for the refridgeration thing. I to have seen them on many a bar in the past. I have seen some bars leave them out after closing for the night and others would put them in a fridge beside the beer. I personally like to put them in the fridge like I do my pickles once I have opened them, but it is my personal choice as I think they would last for a bit of time just in the pickling solution at room temps. Maybe some one here with culinary training might shed some light on this subject and teach us something new. Great question Cramden and lets hope we get an answer soon. 8) Hippie
Personal Blog: www.bbq-is-a-way-of-life.blogspot.com

JUST LOVIN BBQ WITH A GREAT GLASS OF WINE