BBQ Beans

Vegetables, salads, slaws, beans, chili, soups, breads

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Peter

BBQ Beans

Post by Peter » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:22 pm

The Great Canadian Bar-B-Q Company's Bar-B-Q Baked Beans

1 100 oz can beans in tomato sauce. I use "Paula" brand vegetarian beans.
2 large yellow onions chopped
2/3 cup BBQ sauce (your favourite)
1 each red, yellow and green pepper diced
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
2 T dry mustard
1 t black pepper
1 t chili powder
1 - 2 t hot sauce
2 cups barbecued beef or pork chopped

combine all ingredients in a large (more than 5 litre) ovenproof dish or pot.

Split, stem and seed 3 jalapeño peppers and float on the top of the beans.

Bake at 250º for 4 – 6 hours or until the onions and peppers are tender.

Cooking in a BBQ pit is preferred. Put em under ribs or butts and catch the drippings. Not doctor recommended but very tasty!

If BBQ meat is not available, smoked bacon, cubed, can be substituted or used with the BBQ meat. Smoked ham hocks are nice too.

Serves approximately 25

Feel free to experiment with this recipe; this is not exactly the recipe given to me but a variation which seems to suit my family and many of my customers.

pom
Gofor

Post by pom » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:56 am

Any can link me to the beans you are using.

Cooking Heinz Baked beans for 4 hours would result in mush. So I guess it cant be these ???

cheers
pom

Peter
The middle number please (3): 5
Location: Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Post by Peter » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:17 pm

Most canned beans should hold up at pit temps. Mine run 250º or less, so 5 hours is not enough to make them mushy. 4 hours or more is neccessary to soften the onions and peppers. Oven temps may be a little different, though.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.

Smokin Bunkhouse
Gofor
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Re: BBQ Beans

Post by Smokin Bunkhouse » Wed May 20, 2009 8:42 pm

Hello Peter What kind of pot or pan did you use?
Thank you Kevin

Peter
Location: Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Post by Peter » Thu May 21, 2009 8:36 am

I've used everything from cast iron dutch oven to SS restaurant pans. No noticeable difference IMO
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

rgibson3468
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by rgibson3468 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:06 pm

Hi there, want to give my two cents worth....having family of French Canadian origin, I know good baked beans and cannot tolerate canned beans of any vendor. The only beans that do not have that Libbys taste was a lady vendor concession giving out samples when I was at Memphis in May last month. Friends were raving on Bush's BB and I bought some last time in America and 'yecchh!!!' IMHO you are already doomed if you start with canned beans...With the time and care given to the meat, you can make some awesome beans with a bit of extra effort.
One of my favorite base recipes i follow is linked below.
I add my own tweaks to it but can guarantee will come out better than canned beans.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Durgin-Park-B ... ans-107614

I have a horizontal smoker and place the beans at the hot end of the smoker, just remember to cook uncovered of course and keep the beans hydrated or they will have a nutty hard centre from drying out.

Peter

Post by Peter » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:58 am

I agree, starting with dry beans is best, time permitting. If you have the time for this recipe; it is about the best I have ever found. Don't knock the canned bean version here unless you have tried it, it really is a winner.

This recipe is modified from a 1880 Dawson City cookbook, the Fort Steele Cookbook! Thanks to Stu Carpenter (Grill Chef) for this recipe.

I will often cook up some ham hocks and use the stock and meat instead of chicken stock in the Klondike Baked Beans. I often toss in some pulled pork or bbq beef too. I like meaty beans.
Stem and seed 2 or 3 jalapenos and float the halves on the beans during the cook for a little extra bite.

Klondike Baked Beans

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pounds navy beans
chicken stock
1 pound lean unsliced smoked bacon -- cubed
1/2 pound thinly sliced smoked bacon
2 bay leaves -- crushed
6 stalks celery -- chopped
1 bunch parsley
2 cloves garlic -- crushed
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon chili powder
6 cloves
3 teaspoons salt
6 large tomatoes -- chopped
1 can tomato paste
3 large onions -- chopped
3 large onions -- diced
2 cups molasses
1 cup sherry

Soak the navy beans overnight in cold water.

Drain beans add chicken stock (enough to cover beans by 2 inches), simmer with the bay leaves, parsley, celery, garlic, oregano, chili powder, cloves and salt. Simmer for approx 1 1/2 hours or until the skin breaks on a bean when you blow on it. Drain and reserve liquid

Place the beans in a bean pot or earthenware casserole, add the cubed bacon.

Take a few cups of the reserved bean liquid and bring to a simmer. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, chopped onions, diced onions. Heat. When the mixture is hot add the molasses and sherry, reheat. Pour over the beans in the bean pot.

Put the lid on and bake for 6 hours at 250 degrees. Check after 3 hours to see if there is enough liquid, if add some of the remaining bean liquid.

After 5 hours again check liquid and cover the top of the beans with the sliced bacon. Cover and continue cooking for 45 minutes.

Remove the lid and place under the broiler. Broil for 15 minutes to crisp the bacon.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:51 am

rgibson and Peter, those are a couple dynamite looking recipes, thanks for posting them. I'm going to soak some beans for my next cook for sure. I've still got some ham hocks I can use, too.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Peter

Post by Peter » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:21 pm

Fresh ham hocks are a little used secret ingredient. The basis for the famous "ragout de pattes de cochon" goes well with a lot of one dish meals. My wife says that the family recipe used "lots" of pepper. When I did them for the first time, she helped with that part of the cook; I could not believe the amount of pepper she added!! It's one of the richest stocks I have ever used and very easy to make.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

kevinv
Runner

Post by kevinv » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:37 pm

I like the 2 posted here and look forward to triing them out.

rgibson3468
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by rgibson3468 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:02 pm

I usually buy whole spareribs and trim them myself...the leftovers that friends do not want to eat go into the beans..half at top half at bottom...I usually add BBQ sauce as well..no catsup, and more molasses as i like them sweeter. I did not mean to offend on canned beans, but never had beans to my liking anywhere, BBQ joints in Texas, Memphis, definitely locally....even my relatives cook them so they are a little bland...so I may be a bean's worst critic..haha

kevinv
Runner

Post by kevinv » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:36 am

[quote="Peter"]

Klondike Baked Beans

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pounds navy beans

Could i use canned navey beans? I assume they are the same.

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:07 pm

Dried, uncooked navy beans are NOT the same as canned! Don't mess with canned; use the dried beans for this recipe.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired