Its a copy and paste from "qman" from the brethern...and he knows the Keys !
Only variation I made was cut the recipe in half ( since I only wanted 1 pie ) but still used 6 oz of juiced key limes (purchased from Great Canadian Superstore) and I used a homemade graham cracker crust instead of pastry dough shell.
If ya can`t find key limes go ahead and use regular limes...but remember they call it "key lime pie" for a reason.
Key Lime Pie
Recipe By :John Bailey
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : Desserts Pies & Pastry
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cans sweetened condensed milk -- 14 oz can
8 each egg yolk -- reserve whites
6 ounces key lime juice
2 each pie crust -- 9-inch single crust
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Using your favorite home-made or purchased piecrust--fit piecrusts into 2 9-inch pie pans(if necessary). Prick bottoms of crusts with fork and brush insides of crusts lightly with some of the reserved egg white.[Save remaining egg-white for another use or discard--no meringue on this pie!]
3. Bake empty piecrusts at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes--just until lightly browned.
4. Remove from oven to cool slightly and TURN OVEN TEMPERATURE DOWN TO 350 DEGREES.
5. While crusts are pre-baking: mix condensed milk and egg yolks together in bowl of electric mixer on low speed until blended. With mixer running at slow speed, add lime juice and mix until thoroughly blended.
6. Divide mixture between the piecrusts and bake 12-15 minutes at 350 degrees.
7. Cool to room temperature for an hour or so, then chill in refrigerator before serving.
8. Serve with sweetened whipped cream or soft vanilla ice cream--and/or a small scoop of home-made lime or lemon sherbet.
And to top it all off...
Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators
1 post • Page 1 of 1