ABT cheesecake

And to top it all off...

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Peter

ABT cheesecake

Post by Peter » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:41 pm

A while ago, Chez, on another forum posted a recipe for ABT cheesecake.
Did one today for a party Sat. .... looks good .... final results are not in yet; its still cooling .......
The crust is corn chips, bacon, bacon fat and butter (listen to your arteries harden!!) The filling is cream cheese, jalapenos, sour cream, honey and cheddar, and a little shot of Denzels Kamikaze hot sauce for good measure.
I used real bacon, not the supermarket stuff, for real, smoky flavour.
Jalapenos are from last years crop ... bright red, thin skinned and pretty hot combined with some regular green ones from the store, all roasted and finely chopped.

Cheech
Rib Rubber
The middle number please (3): 5

Post by Cheech » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:46 am

Peter , did you like it. It is a really neat idea for an appetizer isn't it? We do a big party at the cottage on Labour Day and if you enjoyed it, I think that it would be a good thing to add to our food. How did you serve it?

Tracy

Cottage Cook
Runner

Post by Cottage Cook » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:07 am

Wow Peter - I agree with Tracy, sounds great for Labour Day weekend. How was it? And are you posting the recipe?

~Inez

Cheech
Rib Rubber

Post by Cheech » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:01 am

Peter......Peter can you hear us???? Labour Day is looming :(

Tracy

Peter

Post by Peter » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:11 pm

Sorry, I must have missed these posts somehow.

Crust
2 cups finely ground corn chips
1/2 t chipotle powder
1/2 cup chopped, crisp bacon
1/2 stick butter, melted
2 T bacon grease

filling
1 lb cream cheese, softened
1 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
1 cup pepper jack, shredded
1 pint sour cream
3 large eggs
1/2 cup finely chopped, roasted jalapenos (8 - 9)
1 T honey
zest of 1 lemon
2 - 3 dashes hot sauce.

mix the crust ingredients lightly and press into an 8" springform pan.
Refrigerate for 5 min to set up the crust and bake 8 - 10 min in a 325º oven, set aside.

Beat the cream cheese on low for a minute or 2 till smooth. Add the eggs 1 at a time and continue beating till combined. Gradually fold in the rest, scrape down the sides of the bowl, pour into the pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
Set the pan on a large sheet of foil and fold up the sides around the pan. Place the pan in a larger pan and add boiling water till the water is about halfway up the side of the springform pan. Bake in the centre of a 325 oven for 1 - 1 1/4 hours. the cheesecake will still jiggle, be careful not to overcook. Let it cool for a half hour in the pan then chill in the fridge for 4 hours loosely covered. Loosen the cake from the pan with a sharp knife and unmold. Tranfer to a serving plate.
Some garnish suggestions: candied jalapenos, carmelized onions, guacamole, pico de gallo, jalapeno jelly.

Again, my apologies for missing this post. Good luck all and don't forget to post pics.

Peter

Post by Peter » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:32 pm

My family pointed out to me that even though this is a cheesecake, it should be an appetizer or even a main course dish and not a dessert.

I'll let you make the decision ...

Peter

Post by Peter » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:39 pm

Cheech wrote:Peter , did you like it. It is a really neat idea for an appetizer isn't it? We do a big party at the cottage on Labour Day and if you enjoyed it, I think that it would be a good thing to add to our food. How did you serve it?

Tracy
Tracy, it really is a different experience in food! It is tasty but kind of hits you in an unexpected way - it's sort of like a quiche in a way, hard to explain but, if you're like me, you gotta try it once.

I liked it a lot but some of the others in the house felt that a cheesecake should not be anything other than a pure dessert. I think I made the mistake of serving it too late in the meal.

Cheech
Rib Rubber

Post by Cheech » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:49 am

Thanks for the feedback Peter. I will try it out at Labour Day and get back to you on how it went over. Keep posting like this and you shouldn't be left a chicken choker for long. :lol:

Tracy

Peter

Post by Peter » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:31 am

Good luck with it, Tracy. We are expecting pics.

kermitgirl
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by kermitgirl » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:40 pm

I bet these would be excellent as a party finger food if the filling was poured into individual tart shells.

Brant County Smokers
Gofor

Re: ABT cheesecake

Post by Brant County Smokers » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:58 pm

very interesting
Doug Jr.
Brant County Smokers BBQ

Honor Thy BBQ gods...