Smokin' Joe's Texas Shrimp

Fish and Seafood recipes

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

carolinesrub
Rank Amateur
The middle number please (3): 5

Post by carolinesrub » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:58 am

Amy was away last night, and I was playing around in the kitchen with some seafood I had and here is one of the recipes I concocted. It's a bit entailed, but mighty tasty!

The seasoning is a pretty standard cajun type seasoning, so if you don't want to make your own, substitute with any of your favorite cajun blends. I served it up with some grilled savory grits, but grilled polenta would work really well too!

Seafood Seasoning
1.5 T. Paprika
1 T. Salt
1 T. Thyme
1 T. Oregano
1/2 T. Black Pepper
1/2 T. White Pepper
1/2 T. Cayenne Pepper
1/2 t. Garlic Powder

Seafood BBQ Sauce
2 1/2 lemons, peeled and quartered
3 tablespoons black pepper - freshly ground, coarse
2 tablespoons seafood seasoning from recipe above
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup water
6 cloves garlic - smashed

Shrimp
1/2 teaspoon grape seed oil
1/3 cup red bell pepper - julienned
1/3 cup poblano pepper - julienned
1/3 cup sweet or vidalia onion - thinly sliced
3/4 teaspoon garlic - fincely minced
20 shrimp, 16 to 20 count, peeled, de-veined, and rinsed
3/4 cup seafood barbecue sauce from above
1/4 cup whipping cream

Mix seafood seasoning ingredients together and store in an airtight, preferably light proof container, and set aside.

In a saucepan combine the lemons, pepper, 2 tbsp. seafood seasoning, W-Sauce, water, and garlic. Bring to boil, lower heat to steady simmer, and reduce sauce by half. Strain through fine-mesh strainer and set aside.

Add oil to preheated skillet and let come to temp. Add bell pepper, poblano, onion, and garlic to oil and saute over medium heat for about 40 seconds. Do not burn the garlic - it will make your dish bitter! Add shrimp and sauté for 30 seconds, tossing to distribute the ingredients. Stir in 3/4 cup seafood barbecue sauce and cream, and let simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, or until shrimp are cooked. Do not overcook the shrimp or they will become rubbery. Serve.
Joe Johnson
Co-Founder / COO
Caroline's Rub
Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, & Texas Chili Seasoning
http://www.carolinesrub.com