Crawfish Etoufee

Fish and Seafood recipes

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

carolinesrub
Rank Amateur
The middle number please (3): 5

Crawfish Etoufee

Post by carolinesrub » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:24 pm

If any of you have had the opportunity to visit New Orleans, you may have had the pleasure of having crawfish etoufee...one of my all-time favorite creole or cajun foods!

Like I said in my last post, I was playing around with some seafood the other night, and while writing down my concoctions, I found my old crawfish etoufee recipe...mudbugs are tough to get here, so feel free to substitute with shrimp, lobster, lump crab, or langostines. I will use the langostines tonight, which are a perfect sub for the crawfish...they are almost identical in size, texture, and flavor, and easy to get in Ontario!

1/4 c butter
1/4 c flour
1 c medium onion - diced
1/4 c medium green pepper - diced
1/4 c medium red pepper - diced
1/8 c jalapeno - seeded and minced
1/2 c medium celery - diced
3 T. seafood seasoning (you can find the recipe in this post forums/viewtopic.php?p=2266#2266)
3 cloves crushed garlic
1 bay leaf
1/3 c crushed tomatoes
2 1/2 c crawfish stock - substitute with chicken, langostine, or shrimp stock
2 pounds of peeled and cleaned crawfish meat

Add the butter to the skillet (don't use nonstick - you won't be able to develop the roux!). Once butter has melted, sprinkle in the flour and stir continuously until a reddish brown roux has been created. Continuous stirring is critical. You don't want to burn the butter, which can happen in an instant! Color is important so keep a close watch on it - black specks indicate you have cooked your roux too long and it is burning or burnt. Don't try to rush the roux - you will only be disappointed if you do!!! :cry:

Immediately add the onions and reduce the heat to low, sauteing for about 1 minute. Add the green and red peppers, jalapeno, celery, seafood seasoning, garlic, and bay leaf. Increase the heat to medium, and add the stock and tomatoes.

Simmer for about 5 minutes, add the crawfish, and simmer for an additional 5 minutes, or until crawfish are done.

Remove the bay leaf, adjust the seasoning to taste, and serve over long-grain rice with hot jalapeno cornbread! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!! :P
Joe Johnson
Co-Founder / COO
Caroline's Rub
Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, & Texas Chili Seasoning
http://www.carolinesrub.com