Help please-Recipes for brining an eye of the round

Make your own Side Bacon, Ham, Peameal, Canadian Bacon, Back Bacon, Sausage, Jerky etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Schultz
Runner
The middle number please (3): 5

Help please-Recipes for brining an eye of the round

Post by Schultz » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:57 pm

A while back on a now defunct forum there was a good thread on brining eye of the round. I don't know if any of the contributors are here as well but I could use some pointers. If anybody has any recipes/cooking directions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Schultz

Bubba-Q

Post by Bubba-Q » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:54 pm

Hey Schultz, this should get ya through it. I did one a few weeks ago and it came out fantastic.

Make a basic brine of 1 gal water, 1 cup coarse salt, 1/2-1 cup brown sugar, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, oregano etc. You can add whatever you have in the cupboard. I have added cajun seasoning, 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar, 1/2 cup red pepper flakes, rosemary, dark molasses, 1/2 cup golden brown sugar, 1/2 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed, 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns, 2 fresh thyme sprigs etc. etc. Any and all will help enhance the flavour of the round.

Boil all for 10 minutes then strain and cool to at least 40f. This part is extremely important if you are injecting the round. You never want to inject warm brine.Cut away the silverskin and inject the round at about 1.5 to 2 oz/lb and then soak in remainder of brine for 48 hrs. Make sure it is completely covered. I use a large freezer bag and rotate it the round every once in awhile.

Smoke day- rub it up with your favourite rub (no salt, it's salty from brining) and smoke it at about 250 till it hits about...145-160. The final temp will be determined by how you like your meat. Take it to 160 if you prefer a deli style beef slice. I used hickory and apple wood.

Remove from Q and rest for 20 minutes. Slice very thin (slicer does wonders with this cut of meat), pile high on an onion bun and slather in sauce.

Take a bite, slap ur momma and ur good to go!

Take some pics and tell us how it goes
There are three types of people in this world; those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened, which one are you?

Schultz
Runner

Post by Schultz » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:53 am

Thanks Harv.

I am actually going to plate it and use a red/wine, caramelized onion and mushroom sauce(that is still in my head and has never been made). I am cooking for my father-in-law's 70th birthday for a bunch of my in-laws friends. I am still waiting on the final report on dietary restrictions before I go too gung-ho with the side dishes. I want to use the eye because my favourite rib roast will not be lean enough for this crew.

I am not cooking it until Dec. 10, so I still have some time to organize the menu.

One question though. Do you or anyone else on the forum know approx. how much salt is absorbed during the process? I might have to totally change my game plan if salt limitation is one of their restrictions.

Thanks Again

Schultz :D

Bubba-Q

Post by Bubba-Q » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:17 am

Schultz wrote: One question though. Do you or anyone else on the forum know approx. how much salt is absorbed during the process? I might have to totally change my game plan if salt limitation is one of their restrictions.
The end result doesn't taste salty. I have no idea the % of sodium that is retained during brining. If salt is a health issue then brining is not a good idea.

If you're looking for lean meat -salt, why not just do a tenderloin? It would go well with your onion and wine glaze :wink:
There are three types of people in this world; those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened, which one are you?

Schultz
Runner

Post by Schultz » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:45 pm

Thanks Bubba, but I fear if I did a tenderloin for this crowd I wouldn't be able to get rid of them. I am still waiting to hear and if salt isn't an issue eye of the round is it. Especially with it being on sale at Sobey's.

Have a great weekend

Schultz

Bubba-Q

Post by Bubba-Q » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:19 pm

Schultz, how did it turn out, and how did ya cook it ?

Schultz
Runner

Post by Schultz » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:58 am

Hello Harvey

I am still learning the ropes of digital photography and was wanting to post a couple of pictures with the results. The eyes turned out great. I will post the recipes on the weekend hopefully with pictures. I brined for 48 hours, painted it with maple syrup and rolled it in a simple rub of brown sugar, dry mustard and black pepper. I cooked at 450* to an internal temp. of 125* and wrapped with foil for an hour to rest. I didn't get the caramelization I was hoping for on the crust but it was still good.

The sauce(I will post it as well) turned out awesome. I served it with maple glazed carrots, lemon green beans, and garlic mashed potatoes.

Thanks for all the help

Schultz