Capacolla

Make your own Side Bacon, Ham, Peameal, Canadian Bacon, Back Bacon, Sausage, Jerky etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

wittdog
Pork Puller
The middle number please (3): 5

Capacolla

Post by wittdog » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:23 am

Capacolla Cure ingredients for 25 lbs

5 quarts ice water 38*-40*
1 Cup Sugar
¼ Cup instacure #1
¾ Cup of Salt (Kosher or non-iodized)
¼ cup of Hungarian paprika
¼ cup Granulated Onion
¼ cup Granulated Garlic
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Couple of Dashes of Basil and Oregano

Trim the fat and debone the loins (I buy boneless loin), if it’s a whole loin cut into 3rds
Dissolve all the ingredients in the cold water if need add ice cubs to bring down the temp, Mix well
After the brine is made inject the loins with the brine 10% of their green weight
Place the loins in the remaining Brine a place in a fridge for 6 days
Pat the loins dry and let air dry
After the loins are dry then rub with this
Rub
½ Cup Hungarian Paprika,
1 TBLS each Granulated Onion, Garlic Powder…
1tea each of cayenne pepper and white pepper

Place loins in a preheated smoke house 130* with dampers wide open; hold for 4 hours without Smoke
Gradually increase the temp to 150*smoking for 2 hours (One pan of sawdust in the lectric I used a mix of apple and cherry)
After 2 hours stop smoking and bring the temp to 165* hold until the internal temp reaches 155*

Capacolla is traditionally made with boneless butts weighting no more than 4 lbs that are stuffed into a casing and then smoked. Or dry cured…I prefer to use the loins there is a lot less fat.
Here is a link to the whole process...its on another forum hope thats ok
http://www.bbq-4-u.com/viewtopic.php?t=7856&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=capacolla&start=0
I get more sauced than my ribs.

Qfan
Pork Puller

Capacolla

Post by Qfan » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:41 am

Hey Wittdog:
I hooked up with a couple of guys in what I guess you would call a little 'Charcuterie Club' and yesterday we broke down a 160 lb pig and set to curing/making 50 lbs of sausage, jowl bacon, belly bacon and then this capacolla recipe of yours from the loins (ate tenderloins and ribs for lunch, and the hams went towards the sausage this time, since already have proscuitto underway from previous hog).
We're following it to the letter, so we'll let you know what we think when it comes off.
Thanks for the idea and recipe!
Qfan
Homefires Burnin' BBQ Team

Les Noiracochon Charcuterie Club
www.lesnoiracochon.com

wittdog
Pork Puller

Post by wittdog » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:36 am

Yeah let me know what you think....that sounds like a lot of fun....take a bunch of pics of the other stuff..

Qfan
Pork Puller

capacolla

Post by Qfan » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:18 am

Wittdog:
Finally got around to picking up my share of the capacolla and have been really enjoying it. Personally I think a little bit of fat wouldn't be a bad thing with this recipe, but overall think it's a keeper. The spicing is really nice; a bit of a bite to it but not overwhelming the meat at all.
thanks for the idea and the recipe!
Mike/Qfan

www.lesnoiracochon.com

wittdog
Pork Puller

Post by wittdog » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:07 pm

Its traditionaly made with a small deboned butt...which would help a great deal with the fat content. Glad you liked it..next time use a small deboned but and stuff it in a large casing.

Peter
Location: Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Post by Peter » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:12 pm

Thanks all. with endorsements like that, I just gotta try some myself. Fresh hams, Montreal shoulders and picnics are on sale this week here for $.99 and I need a new project. Timing on this update couldn't be better.

Will keep you posted.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.

Qfan
Pork Puller

Shoulder ID

Post by Qfan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:56 pm

Peter:
This is the second post where I've seen you refer to 'Montreal Shoulders'. In our neck of the woods we get what is called 'New York Shoulders', which is a basic whole butt and picnic combo, skinned but for the picnic portion, about 14-18 lb average. Is that the same thing as Montreal shoulder you refer to or is that cut differently?
(Maybe you should say in your avatar, 'just north of the NY/Montreal shoulder line) LOL
Qfan

www.lesnoiracochon.com

Peter
Location: Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Post by Peter » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:24 am

LOL I don't think its quite as much of a northern thing as the Coke/Pepsi war.
I do recall reading somewhere that the amount of skin left on was the difference between the New York and Montreal versions of the shoulder. These were fully skin in place and were labeled Montreal shoulders. They were on the high side of the weight average, about 17 - 20 lbs, great for sausage.
In speaking to the meat manager there, also a home sausage maker, I was promised some smaller boneless butts he's getting in at the same price.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.