PORK BRINE

Make your own Side Bacon, Ham, Peameal, Canadian Bacon, Back Bacon, Sausage, Jerky etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Hippieforever99

PORK BRINE

Post by Hippieforever99 » Fri May 26, 2006 11:46 pm

3 tablespoons kosher salt....
3/4 cup light brown sugar.... 2 cups hot water and 2 cups of cold water....
Dissolve sugar and salt in hot water. Add cold water and soak pork tenderloins for l hour in the refrigerator. Increase the time for thicker cuts. Makes thick pork chops taste great when they are grilled. 8)

Cheech
Rib Rubber
The middle number please (3): 5

Post by Cheech » Sat May 27, 2006 8:12 am

Thanks for posting all of these recipies. They all look great. would you be able to use this brine for porkchops that are planned to be smoked or is it more appropriate for grilling?

Tracy

Peter

Post by Peter » Sat May 27, 2006 12:07 pm

Tracy, a basic brine can be used for anything. The ratio of 1 cup salt to a gallon of water is the beginning; sugar and whatever spices you wish to add come next. I usually start with about half or less of the water, add the rest, simmer to dissolve the sugar and salt, blend the flavours then bring the mixture down to close to freezing with water and ice cubes. Then add the meat to be brined and refrigerate till cooking time. *Never add meat to a brine that is not fully cooled.*

Cheech
Rib Rubber
The middle number please (3): 5

Post by Cheech » Sat May 27, 2006 12:52 pm

Peter, thanks for the info. Reg had posted a brine awhile back that I am going to use today and it is quite similar to this one. I made it up yesterday and left it in the fridge overnight. I only added the porkchops this morning though as I haven't brined anything before and am a little hesitant about over doing it. "mushy" results??!! Wish me luck and I will let you know how it goes. I guess you didn't go to Ottawa? Just a newbie and one seasoned smoker here today. ha You've got your work cut out for you. :)

Tracy

Peter

Post by Peter » Sat May 27, 2006 4:29 pm

Ottawa is about a 6 or 7 hour drive for me. I'm content to just sit here in the sun and do nothing this weekend. I may throw on a couple of steaks later .... or maybe not LOL. The advantage of being old, I guess.
Let me know how the chops turn out.
Ray Lampe spoke of "Chicago Pork Chops" a while back; a whole loin, smoked to about 140º or so (safe temp) then sliced, rubbed and finished on a grill. They are really good eating!
I've done the same thing with strip loins for a crowd. Truly incredible flavour.