Need Recipes and Ideas for Bacon

Make your own Side Bacon, Ham, Peameal, Canadian Bacon, Back Bacon, Sausage, Jerky etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Dkoster

Need Recipes and Ideas for Bacon

Post by Dkoster » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:45 am

I had a client ask me to smoke pork belly for him today (butcher shop), he is bringing in 8 pork bellies for me to practice on in the next week. I have read a lot of your recipes over the years on making bacon in the smoker.

Could I get some of you to post recipes for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:52 pm

Mike (qfan) did a bunch of these at X-mas for family and friends,and they turned out great.I checked the pig site but the recipe is not up yet.I am sure once he sees the question he will be along with some answers for you.I know member Strodey can answer your question but he is at work right now.I will let him know to check the board when he gets home.FYI Strodey is a local butcher who has been doing this type of thing since he was very young,so he can answer lots of questions on curing of meats.
Aaron

Barry
Rib Rubber
The middle number please (3): 5

Bacon

Post by Barry » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:27 pm

Darrel I make bacon all the time and allways have calls for it it is a verry simple bacon I dry cure it I use a ham & bacon cure from Canada Compound I know they have a store in TO. I rub the pork belleys down with the cure put it in plastic thbs and in the fridge for 4 days then turn it all over and rib it down with brown suggar and back in the fridge for 3 more days rince off soak for 1/2 hr. and into the cooker at about 200* for around 3 hrs till it is around 130* then cool and slice This makes a really good bacon and it is easey to do.
Hope this helps some. I find the dry cure a lot nicer and easer.
Also I put 1x1 strips of maple wood in the bottom of the tubs to keep it out of the juce Cafurel making the maple strips as I run my thumb into my table saw last fall making mine. But sold the doctor 5 lbs of bacon while he was sewing it up now he wants more bacon will do any thing to get a customer
Barry
Old wood burner

Qfan
Pork Puller

Belly Bacon

Post by Qfan » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:28 pm

Darryl:
This post of yours kind of got by my radar when it first went up. Did you go ahead and cure the bacon? If so, how is it doing/how did it turn out?
I haven't done a whole lot of belly bacon, but I've tried some and find that the best flavourings for it are the simple ones; pepper blends. maple etc.
Post your results when you get a chance.
QfanImage
Homefires Burnin' BBQ Team

Les Noiracochon Charcuterie Club
www.lesnoiracochon.com

BBQonICE
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by BBQonICE » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:10 pm

Family has done this for years....

Mortons tenderquick, course salt, coriander, pepper sugar. Rib them down and lay them in plasitic containers for few days. Rubbing and turning couple times.

Wipe them down and into the smoke house for 3 hrs or so. 220.

Very good.
http://canadianbbqandice.blogspot.com/

Come on in for a cool one!!

I use a Vermont Castings Special Edition 5027N Natural Gas Grill

stevo
Runner

Re: Need Recipes and Ideas for Bacon

Post by stevo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:29 am

Hey fella's

I finally got a chance to do one. Here is what I did. This is a process that was given to me by the person who sold me the belly. BTW it came out very salty. Please help with ways to eliminate alot of that saltyness. I would like to look into the maple flavouring. How do I do that?

1 8lb pork belly
1lb table salt :?
3 tbs curring salt (purchased from the Superstore)
1 tbs sugar

Rubbed down and put into plastic container. Elivated the belly off the botton with a few ice cube trays (turned upside down). Cured for 7 days.
Rinsed and soaked in water over night.
Drained and put it back into the fridge to dry out a little for about 10hrs.
Smoked in the WSM with Hickory chunks and maple leaf lump. Tryed my best to keep the temp at 150 - 175.
Smoked to 100 deg. and moved it into a 200 deg oven to finish (getting late).
Pulled it at 135 deg.

sliced and fried.

Please help guys. I am starting to think that it isn't worth the effort.
sit down, shut up and smoke some butts!!!!

Qfan
Pork Puller

Post by Qfan » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:30 am

Stevo:
I think that the Readycure is a sub for Tenderquick rather than a sub for Prague Powder #1. This would mean that the product is largely salt with curing agents 'bound' to the salt crystals. The formula your butcher gave you was for two separate ingredients that make the 'curing salt', namely salt and a nitrate/nitrite curing agent. By using the Readycure product but the salt-plus-nitrate method (adding a lb of salt on top of this product), you, in effect, doubled up on the salt. Does this make sense? I know it's hard to get your head around some of this stuff when products come in different names and formulations.
Additionally, the amount of sugar (and I would use brown sugar rather than white) seems very low. I like a 50/50 mix of Tenderquick (Readycure) and brown sugar, about 1/2 cup each, well blended. The sugar cuts the harsh 'bite' of the salt. You can use maple sugar in place of brown for some maple flavour, or brush on a couple glazes of lower grade ('Amber') maple syrup as you smoke.
So, in its simplest approach, try, 50/50 Readycure and Brown sugar, about 1/2 cup each per belly (subbing maple sugar if you want that flavour profile), rub in well and put in those great new XL Ziplocs. Rotate and massage once or twice a day for curing period (I think a week to 10 days max is good; I'm a bit removed from my last batch of belly bacon to remember exactly). Remove from bag and rinse off the cure/sugar. To reduce saltiness even further, soak for an hour or two, changing cold water once or twice. Pat dry and let air chill in the fridge til surface is tacky. Smoke as you like, glazing or seasoning as you like (remember if using a rub for flavour to use a salt-free version). Options for flavouring limited to your imagination, but coarse peppercorn (try a mix of red, green and black!) and maple syrup seem to be the most popular. An interesting twist is to crush about a head's worth of garlic cloves and rub into the bacon during cure time and then sprinkle garlic and onion granules on the slab of bacon before you smoke. That's good eats too, especially if you're a garlic lover like we are at our place!
Qfan
Homefires Burnin' BBQ Team

Les Noiracochon Charcuterie Club
www.lesnoiracochon.com

5aces
Gofor

Post by 5aces » Sat May 16, 2009 1:03 pm

1. One 5lb slab of pork belly, rind removed. Ask your butcher to take off the rind.
2. 1/4 cup of salt
3. 1 tsp pink salt
Generous half cup of maple syrup or honey. (You could also substitute a half cup of brown sugar if you prefer)

Pink salt is a mixture about 6.5% sodium nitrite, and 93.5 percent kosher salt. It is called pink salt as it is dyed pink to prevent accidental use as regular salt.

Pop the pork belly into a large Ziploc bag, and keep it in the fridge for a week, turning every day. There will be some liquid accumulating in the bag; this is normal, don't remove it.

After a week, take the bacon out of the bag, wash off any salt that remains...and voila, you have bacon.
Now fry a little piece cut out from the center of the belly. It's bacon after all, so it should be salty; but if you think it is too salty, try soaking it in cold water for about an hour. This will leach out some of the salt. Repeat the tasting and if you still think it's too salty, give it another hour in a new batch of water.

If you're doing bacon, you should leave the meat exposed to the air in the fridge overnight. You're looking for something called the pellicule to form. The pellicule is a tacky skin that you will be able to see. The smoke will adhere to this and create great tasting bacon.
ImageSmoke it in the kettle,if you choose.
condensed from hubpages.com