Woodchips in an offset cooker

If you are new to BBQ and have questions about cooking, competitions, techniques, or how to get started, then this area is for you. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. THIS FORUM WILL BE HEAVILY MODERATED AND WILL HAVE A 0 TOLERANCE FOR NEGATIVITY.

Moderator:BBQTalk Moderators

Roger M
Gofor
Woodchips in an offset cooker

Post by Roger M » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:48 pm

I am using lump charcoal and the bagged woodchips you get from the loal department store. I have always wetted the chips before putting them in foil pouches to use on my gas grill. When adding to the coals do i want them wet or dry? I was doing wet the other day but felt it was cooling my fire too much. So i am trying to figure out if i need a hotter fire or dry chips.

Trev
Pork Puller
The middle number please (3):5

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:29 pm

I always soak them but that's more force of habit than technique. Even soaked I haven't seen them affect the temps much. To be honest I'm not sure how long they stay wet because water doesn't really penetrate much at all.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Peter
Location:Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Post by Peter » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:33 am

I don't know why you would add wet wood to any offset. I think you will find chunks to be a better option for flavour wood.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:24 am

Have a look here http://www.smokinlicious.ca for information on smoking, as well as an offering of fabulous products! Shipping across Canada is included in the price.
Many thanks to sponsors supporting my team:
Traeger Canada ~ Smokinlicious Gourmet Wood Products ~ Brant Food ~ Cooshack ~ Jim Bray Trailer Sales ~ Chicago 58 ~ Hogewoning Toyota

CBJ# 39745 (there's my BBQ Goddess # Jim)