Sources and good prices for BBQ meat in Toronto

If you are new to BBQ and have questions about cooking, competitions, techniques, or how to get started, then this area is for you. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. THIS FORUM WILL BE HEAVILY MODERATED AND WILL HAVE A 0 TOLERANCE FOR NEGATIVITY.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

BBQFoodie
knows what a "fatty" is
The middle number please (3): 5

Sources and good prices for BBQ meat in Toronto

Post by BBQFoodie » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:01 pm

Any on here from the Toronto area care to provide sources for their BBQ meats?

It's hard to find reasonably priced brisket/pork butts.

I've bought Brisket from the Butcher Shoppe - cost $3.50 a pound and you can't really choose the piece you want. Guy came out with a Shunk wrap two pack, opened it up and I chose one.

I've seen brisket at Costco and Sam's Club but it was around $5/lb and I think it was only the flat part, no packers.

I used to see Pork butt/shoulder for 99 cents a pound periodically before but haven't seen anything close to that lately.

Duncola
Pork Puller

meats

Post by Duncola » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:35 pm

I would totally recommend P&F Meats in Markham...Outstanding cuts and award winning meats...Tony is the Man in the shop!
Thank you to our Generous 2008 Sponsors!
Napoleon Gourmet Grills
P&F Gourmet Meats
Great Charcoal
Two Tree Products - California
Battlefield Equipment Rentals
"The Cat Rental Store"- Canada
Bradley Smokers - Canada
and looking forward to 2009!

Christopher
Rib Rubber

Post by Christopher » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:22 am

I'm not sponsored to I have to shop the sales....

I don't think you'll find brisket much cheaper than the $3.50 at the Butcher Shoppe. I've been buying my butts from Charlie's Meats in the No Frills at Neilson Rd just south of Finch Ave for about $1.80ish per pound. Back ribs I wait until they're on sale for $3 per pound or less and stock up and freeze.

I don't do brisket all that often because a 10 pound roast costs me $35, a two pack is close to $70. I do buy one or two whenever I go to Buffalo, I can find them there for $1.79 per pound. The sinking Canadian dollar will stop that action as well....

I'm going to browse T&T and see what I can find. They have a very loyal following in western Canada and seem to be gaining a foothold in Toronto as well.

Dkoster
The middle number please (3): 3

Post by Dkoster » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:08 am

If you want to make the trip out to Whitby I can get you brisket for cheaper than $3.50 a lb (closer to $3.00).
Darryl Koster
President / Pit Boss
Buster Rhino's Inc.
http://www.busterrhinos.com
905-436-6986
Franchise Opportunities Now Available!

bbqD
Chicken Choker

Post by bbqD » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:28 am

Try Gasparro's Meat Market on Bloor @ Ossington. I haven't been in awhile, but used to get briskets for $2.99/lb, which is about the cheapest I found in the city. Call in advance and be clear that you want a full brisket for slow smoking and they will set you up.

They always seem to have pork butts in stock at around $2.20-$2.40/lb, maybe not the cheapest, but it's convenient for me.
Darrin
The BBQ Effect
www.thebbqeffect.com

BBQFoodie
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by BBQFoodie » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:59 pm

Keep them coming people....and if you can get rough prices it would be great for everyone. Gonna check out P&F as I golf up in that area.

$35 for a 10 lb brisket which shrinks can make your food pretty expensive at times.

FYI Highland Farms has fresh whole Picnic Pork Shoulder for 99 cents a pound.

Christopher
Rib Rubber

Post by Christopher » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:02 pm

Dkoster wrote:If you want to make the trip out to Whitby I can get you brisket for cheaper than $3.50 a lb (closer to $3.00).
I've still got a couple frozen from my last Buffalo trip. I will definitely send you a PM when I'm looking again.

I'm moving to Whitby in December. I told my cousin and the first thing he asked was "How far are you from Buster Rhino's?"

Dkoster
The middle number please (3): 3

Post by Dkoster » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:12 pm

Actually Chris the next time your in I would like you to either ask for me or Scott, we would like to purchase your next meal as a thank you.
Darryl Koster
President / Pit Boss
Buster Rhino's Inc.
http://www.busterrhinos.com
905-436-6986
Franchise Opportunities Now Available!