making Charcoal on Dirty Jobs!

If you are new to BBQ and have questions about cooking, competitions, techniques, or how to get started, then this area is for you. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. THIS FORUM WILL BE HEAVILY MODERATED AND WILL HAVE A 0 TOLERANCE FOR NEGATIVITY.

Moderator:BBQTalk Moderators

gooberman
Firestarter
The middle number please (3):5
making Charcoal on Dirty Jobs!

Post by gooberman » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:53 pm

I don't know if anyone caught it last night, but they did a segmant on making Lump Charcoal on Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe. I believe it was a re-run but if it is on again this week you should definately check it out. It makes it easier to understand how some people are finding pieces of un-burnt wood in their bags.

One question which was never answered though...How does a charred piece of wood burn more?!?

Trev
Pork Puller

Re: making Charcoal on Dirty Jobs!

Post by Trev » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:49 pm

gooberman wrote: One question which was never answered though...How does a charred piece of wood burn more?!?
Here's pretty good expanation I found online.

"This is because charcoal is not wood cinders but is made by burning wood slowly in an oven with little air, turning it into carbon.
Wood is made of fiber (cellulose) and minerals (metals).
When wood is burned, oxygen and other elements in the air (mainly carbon, hydrogen and oxygen) react to form carbon dioxide that is released into the atmosphere, while the minerals turn into ashes.
However when wood is burned in an oven with the flow of air stopped, oxygen inside is soon used up and is not enough to oxidize the carbon in the wood. Thus the carbon is left to turn into charcoal.
This is why when charcoal is burned, only carbon dioxide is released and there is neither smoke nor smell."

HTH.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

gooberman
Firestarter

Post by gooberman » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:07 pm

that's pretty interesting. They were burning it inside what looked like a metal tractor trailer box.

I can't believe the conditions that these guys were working in...no masks or anything...one guy said his grandfather who had worked in the industry for 45 years had open heart surgery and when the doctors looked at his lungs, they said they were like a 9 year old?!?! I find it hard to believe.

stevo
Runner

Post by stevo » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:14 am

Hey Trev, I think you need to apply for Good Eats!!

Look out Alton!!

As for the coal, I would like to try making my own this summer. Just need a easy way to do it.
sit down, shut up and smoke some butts!!!!

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:33 pm

Sorry to be so dense, Stevo, but what is 'Good Eats'? I mean aside from the obvious answer-- BBQ.

edit: okay I figured out what Good Eats is, now I just need to figure out why I would apply for it. I guess I need to watch the show to figure that one out. I've never seen it but I'll have to make the effort.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

bbbrown
Rib Rubber

Post by bbbrown » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:40 pm

Speaking of dirty jobs, I'd hate to be a Leafs fan.
They got their goose cooked last nite.

Bryan

stevo
Runner

Post by stevo » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:56 am

Ya Trev Alton is a very knowlageble chef. He uses alot of science in his show and is very interesting to watch.Probubly one of my most watched cooking shows. Search him on the food network site. by far not an insult.
sit down, shut up and smoke some butts!!!!

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:47 pm

stevo wrote: by far not an insult.
And wasn't taken as one my friend. :D

I found a late running episode of this one and PVR'd it, finally watching it last night. It was funny how Mike asked him the question of how something "already burnt" could burn again, not once, not twice, but three times, and never did get an answer. I have to think the guy maybe didn't know. They didn't talk about the process of removing oxygen from the burn chamber or what actually takes place during that time. It looks like one of the dirtiest jobs on the planet for sure!
I had to shake my head at the guys saying that because it's pure and 'just carbon' that it can't hurt your lungs. I've never heard such a thing and you sure wouldn't catch me doing that job without a darn good respirator. Still, an interesting episode to watch and when he had those chops on the grill at the end of the show I could almost smell 'em. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.