Vertical Propane Smoker Help

If you are new to BBQ and have questions about cooking, competitions, techniques, or how to get started, then this area is for you. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. THIS FORUM WILL BE HEAVILY MODERATED AND WILL HAVE A 0 TOLERANCE FOR NEGATIVITY.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

sweetgcp
Dishwasher

Vertical Propane Smoker Help

Post by sweetgcp » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:51 pm

I bought a broil-mate propane smoker last summer and I had some success with it but I'm not sure I was getting the best possible results. My main concern was the wood chips and how often I should change them. I found that the chips in my smoker box would burn out in roughly 45 min maybe a bit more. So my question is, should I constantly change the chips every time they burn out? or Should I add new chips less often?

I changed them often at first but then worried I was maybe doing it too often. When you are smoking meat for 6+ hours the amount of changes could be a huge difference.

Thank you for any tips.

Dkoster
The middle number please (3): 3

Post by Dkoster » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:10 pm

It really comes down to how much smoke you like in your meat, it's going to be more of a personal opinion really. When I cook for friends I tend to add less smoke than if I am just cooking for my family.
Darryl Koster
President / Pit Boss
Buster Rhino's Inc.
http://www.busterrhinos.com
905-436-6986
Franchise Opportunities Now Available!

sweetgcp
Dishwasher

I understand that

Post by sweetgcp » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:15 am

I understand that it comes down to taste, but I guess what I'm wondering is does the meat definitely need some time to rest with no wood chips smoking? or is it generally ok to just keep smoking the whole time? I guess to be more specific I'm wondering if there is a rule of thumb like smoke for 30-60% of the time, 50-75% or always 75% or more?

Thanks again

stevo
Runner
The middle number please (3): 5

Post by stevo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:01 pm

Like DK said, it's up to you. Keep in mind that smoking after a certain internal temp is a waste. Most meats will not accept smoke after a certain temp.

I used to use a smoker similar to yours and found that you spend a ton on chips. I went to the dust and got better results. I then tried a couple of chunks in the chip tray. This was the best. They smoked the longest but gave off a smaller anount of smoke. Alot cheaper. 4 chunks for a 6lb butt sounds good to me.

Try the chunks dry with nothing else in the tray. This may work for you.
sit down, shut up and smoke some butts!!!!

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:35 pm

Like Stevo, I've switched to using larger dry chunks with great results. I use the equivalent of an approximately fist sized chunk-- usually half a dozen or so-- and that typically gives me about 3 hours or so of smoke, depending on how far down into the pile you bury them. I never go deeper than the top 1/3 of the ring and that way I get a good amount of smoke for the first few hours when the meat is the most receptive to smoke absorbtion.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Peter
Location: Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Post by Peter » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:08 pm

If this is any help, when I use my gas grill as a smoker, I fill the trays with chips once only at the beginning of the cook. When the chips are all burned, the trays stay empty. I find that will give me enough smoke flavour for ribs, tri-tips and even butts.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.

sweetgcp
Dishwasher

Thanks for all the tips!!

Post by sweetgcp » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:25 pm

Than you to the people have posted I'm starting to get the idea pretty good now that smoking for maybe the first quarter of the cooking time is best then just letting it sit at a good low temp and slow cooking will do the the rest!

So when you guys say chunks you mean grabbing larger pieces of the wood rather then the chips I'm guessing. Where do you usually get those? I just bought my chips at local stores like Home Depot (I know BBQ rookie) but hey that is why I'm trying to learn.

Thanks again!

G

swampdaddysbbq
Chicken Choker

Post by swampdaddysbbq » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:27 am

Contact Aaron & Adrienne of Smokin in the Igloo re SMOKINLICIOUS WOOD PRODUCTS. They can help you Good luck.
Randy Sproule ~ Swamp Daddy's BBQ
Swampdaddy loves to cook with a Blonde

Sponsored by:
Niagara's Best Brewers Ltd ~ Great Charcoal ~ Traeger Grills ~Sherkston Shores ~ Tourism Niagara ~SUN COUNTRY Leisure Products ~ Goemans Lakeshore Meats Ltd.

GnuBee
Firestarter

Re: Vertical Propane Smoker Help

Post by GnuBee » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:16 am

I have heard that the meat absorbs the smoke more readily at and below 140f . After 140f is reached the moisture from the meat starts to hinder the absorption rate some what. I like to get the chips/chunks going a bit before adding the meat to the smoker. Thin blue smoke is far better than thick white billowing smoke. White smoke indicates the presense of moisture and impurities in the smoke. Blue smoke is hotter smoke and has less impurities in it . Thus more flavourful than billowing white smoke. Or so I've heard.
MES
Cobb
Masterbuilt 7 in 1
Chargriller
Dutch ovens 12 inch and 10 inch

bbbrown
Rib Rubber

Post by bbbrown » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:28 am

Listen to what Peter posted.
Just because meat reaches a certain temp, dosen't mean it ain't goona get smokier, it will.
The only thing 140* or above will do to the meat is stop the chemical reaction from forming any more of a smoke ring you see on the meat.
You don't need smoke to get a smoke ring.

Bryan

vince
Gofor

Post by vince » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:33 am

Is this the smoker you are talking about.If so I have been using them in competition for the past 8 years. For long burns such as pork butt or brisket I use chucks about 2to3 pieces about 2in big thats all, for short burns like chicken I use about a hand full or two.

hope this helps

Vince

TwoMenandAHog
[imgImage

bbbrown
Rib Rubber

Post by bbbrown » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:09 pm

Vince,

Where can I get them brushes you had in Paris last year?

Thanks, Bryan

vince
Gofor

Post by vince » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:57 am

Bryan

Are Your talking about the silcone ones I had, if so they are made by Grillo Pro [great little smoker] by the way., you can get them at Home Depot or Home HardWare.

Vince

http://www.grillpro.com/grillpro/products.asp?CID=47

bbbrown
Rib Rubber

Post by bbbrown » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:45 am

Thanks Vince.
Hope to see you out on the bbq trail this year.

Bryan

sweetgcp
Dishwasher

Post by sweetgcp » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:11 pm

Vince that is the exact smoker, thanks everyone for their tips. I'm looking forward to getting smoking really soon as the weather is getting better here on the west coast. about to order some wood chunks and see what I can pull off!

Thanks again for all the tips

G