Pork Belly

If you are new to BBQ and have questions about cooking, competitions, techniques, or how to get started, then this area is for you. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. THIS FORUM WILL BE HEAVILY MODERATED AND WILL HAVE A 0 TOLERANCE FOR NEGATIVITY.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

AndrewTRSmith
Gofor
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Pork Belly

Post by AndrewTRSmith » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:13 am

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of doing bacon for the first time and i'm looking for a pork belly. My farmer that i usually buy from doesn't have any available and probibly won't until the fall. Is it usually better to try and get them from your grocery store or a butcher directly? and how much should i be looking to pay per pound?

Thanks
Andrew

bbbrown
Rib Rubber
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: Pork Belly

Post by bbbrown » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:38 am

Andrew,
I doubt the local grocery store will have porkbelly. Ask the butcher where he gets his meat from and go from there. Are there any abatoirs nearby?
I have seen them priced from 2-2.75 a pound around here. Get them skinned, it will save you a lot of work.

Bryan

AndrewTRSmith
Gofor

Post by AndrewTRSmith » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:51 pm

The nearest abatoir is about 150km away. I've left messages with a few butchers in town so i hope to hear from them sometime Monday. I'll have to ask the butchers where they get their meat from. One of the butchers in town i might have a hard time getting bellys from as he also sells bacon for 99c / 500g which i would assume is at a loss to bring people in. good point on the skinning, i never thought about that when leaving the messages.

I also scowered the grocery store for pink salt and came up short, i looked by the spices / salts and came up short. Is this something i should be able to get from the butchers or will i more than likely have to order it from somewhere?

Thanks
Andrew

bbbrown
Rib Rubber

Post by bbbrown » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:31 am

Your butcher should be able to get you the bellies from his packer/supplier. You're in the Halifax area, you should be able to find some.
I use TQ, no mixing, just rub it on the pork. You may have to order it from the US from Morton's. Around here most US Walmart's carry the stuff, and I know a guy in Winnipeg who gets it there.

Bryan

AndrewTRSmith
Gofor

Post by AndrewTRSmith » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:04 pm

Good news, i was talking to a local BBQ Caterer (who is also going to be catering my wedding") and i have a supplier now for pork bellys YIPEE!

Now i'm back to the original dilemma, i cannot find tenderquick or any curing agents anywhere in town. The butchers won't share, and even the local bbq caterer can't get it from them or anywhere in town. He suggested buying stuff from Hi Mountain. I'm debating if I want to do that or try and convince someone to ship me some tenderquick from somewhere else in the country.

What would you guys suggest? And for those of you that have used Hi Mountain products before, is there "Hi Mountain Cure" just their version of Mortons Tenderquick for you to season yourself?

Thanks
Andrew

lemur
Beer Wench

Post by lemur » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:59 am

JR
Pork Puller

Post by JR » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:36 pm

Andrew

Try http://www.canadacompound.com/

They sell curing products

Toronto Office:

391 Rowntree Dairy Road
Woodbridge, Ontario, Canada
L4L 8H1

John
So it don't matter where you live it don't matter where you die
Stay ten years old and barefoot until your eighty five

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:11 pm

I can't find Tenderquick here either, everyone seems to have every Morton salt product except it. Heck I found turbinado sugar at Walmart, no Tenderquick or any other curing agents. I wanna try it in a loin, evidently that makes Canajan bacon.
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:25 pm

Okay, just did a quick online search, most places have Tender Quick for about 7 bones for a 2lb bag (looks like a bag). You can get it directly from Morton's for $4.49 for the same 2lb bag. Not sure if you can get that in Canada but I know there are a few members here from the US.

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:47 am

Okay I saw a few pics of pork belly bacon and it looked damned good. Do you season this the same as a loin? 1 part tender quick (if you can find it) to 2 parts dark brown sugar?

bbbrown
Rib Rubber

Post by bbbrown » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:22 pm

I use one to one.
The TQ bag will tell you how much cure to use.

Bryan

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:47 am

Kewel, good to know, try a few more stores then I might just order the stuff.