want to try

If you are new to BBQ and have questions about cooking, competitions, techniques, or how to get started, then this area is for you. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. THIS FORUM WILL BE HEAVILY MODERATED AND WILL HAVE A 0 TOLERANCE FOR NEGATIVITY.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

kevinv
Runner
The middle number please (3): 5

want to try

Post by kevinv » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:45 pm

What is the best size of brisket to start with? I want to try to smoke one, but I am afraid if it is to big it will take to long to do.

Also what would the cook time be? Just so I know how early to start.

Lastly. When I go to the butcher, is there anything I should look for when I choose it?

:D

Bubba-Q

Re: want to try

Post by Bubba-Q » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:11 pm

Not sure how this one slipped by unnoticed, sorry!

Start out with a full packer brisket, should weigh at least 12 lbs. You're looking at an 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 per pound cook time. I like the ones with a big fat bulbous head on them, kinda like Q'fans!

Do some reading and take some pics...looking forward to your results!
There are three types of people in this world; those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened, which one are you?

ROXY
Pit Master

Post by ROXY » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:25 pm

I find most packers that I find are in the 12 to 13 pound range and these are perfect for the smoker..

In my experience, which is far less in regards to brisket than most of the folks that post here. If you cook at 240 to 250 range and you will expect it to take, from these cooking temps, an hour a pound bang on the money, every time.. Never had a brisket take more than an hour a pound if you cook at 250.

I look for a brisket that will bend nicely when I pick it up by the point.. I like to see that its has movement.. I also like to see a full fat cap on one side if the meat and not have it trimmed to death. No fat cap = dry brisket.. Next, I want to see some good marbling in the flat, if it looks like a hunk of eye of the round.. put it back, it will not be good.

Some folks say start with just a flat but I think flats cook better when the point is attached as they are fatty and as they render their fat helps keep things all happy. Not to mention the point makes some awesome burnt ends..

Now if you really want to get into what real competition BBQ is all about get yourself a big ole batch of Fab B (google search) so you can inject the meat with a chemical concoction that you will have a hard time pronouncing or knowing what most of the ingredients are, but hey, it will keep it really moist... Sorry, I digress. :lol: :wink: Never could figure why you would spend so much time to get a really good piece of meat and wack it full of chemicals.. What ever it takes to win I guess...IMO

Good luck and if you can afford the hit, CAB (certified Angus Beef) is worth the extra cash.. again IMO

Be sure to keep us all posted as to your success with your cook.
3 ProBBQ Frontiers
ProBBQ Excel 20
WSM with ProBBQ stacker
Chargriller Smokin Pro
2 - 50 gallon barrels awaiting conversion

kevinv
Runner

Post by kevinv » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:22 am

Thanks for the information. Still not sure when, but I will post pictures of the finished product.

I read in one group that you inject,rub then bast every 20 or 40 minutes. Do you have to do all 3? I have never injected meats.

I was thinking of doing a rub, and letting it rest a bit. then smoke on the charcoal grill till done. I would bast every 30 minutes or so. And I am thinking of Hickery or maple wood chips.

ROXY
Pit Master

Post by ROXY » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:56 am

Injecting and moping are a personal preference. Some do, some don't. Keep it simple the first time out and see how it turns out, then work your way to injecting.
3 ProBBQ Frontiers
ProBBQ Excel 20
WSM with ProBBQ stacker
Chargriller Smokin Pro
2 - 50 gallon barrels awaiting conversion

kevinv
Runner

Post by kevinv » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:33 pm

Thanks for the input. I am looking forward to giving it a try. Still a bit woried, but that will go once I get one on the grill.

rgibson3468
knows what a "fatty" is
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Post by rgibson3468 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:15 pm

If I was you I would find a smaller one to try out first with. I have bought 6-7 lb briskets with full fat cap and having both the flat and the point. Injecting is not hard, you just have to buy one as they are readily available these days...injecting will reduce or prevent drying out for sure....I inject on a 45* angle every square inch or so from the bottom non fat cap...there are many recipes for marinades out there, usually the soy sauce worcestershire concoctions work well....I like Moore's but you have to mail order it...after marinading cover with a layer of dry rub consisting equallyof salt/pepper/garlic/onion powders. Let come to room temp for about an hour. Those big briskets will take a long time, I would suggest try this size out first and see what happens...you have a proper thermometer for the grill level? What kind of BBQ or smoker are you using? Be patient, these can be stubborn, you will hit a plateau thinking 'will this ever be done?'.
If it seems like it is drying out get a foil pan and add more of the marinade at the bottom so it sits in the pan..this will help from drying out .