Determining termperature on a 22.5" Weber One-Touch kettle

If you are new to BBQ and have questions about cooking, competitions, techniques, or how to get started, then this area is for you. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. THIS FORUM WILL BE HEAVILY MODERATED AND WILL HAVE A 0 TOLERANCE FOR NEGATIVITY.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

gegtik
Dishwasher
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Determining termperature on a 22.5" Weber One-Touch kettle

Post by gegtik » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:18 am

Hi everyone, this is my first post here... I realize that there is no thermometer built into the lid of my kettle and so I'm wondering how I am supposed to determine the internal temperature of the grill.

One thought I had was to simply drop the probe part of a simple meat thermometer into one of the four vents on the lid (with the dial keeping the whole thing from falling into the kettle), and another was to buy a replacement thermometer and drill a hole into the lid myself (but I'm afraid of chipping the paint and leading to rust)

what do you guys suggest?

thanks!

dannyboy
knows what a "fatty" is
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Re: Determining termperature on a 22.5" Weber One-Touch kettle

Post by dannyboy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:53 pm

I have been eyeing this one by Maverick because it has a dual probe that shows the grill temp and meat temp and is remote.
Either run the cable through the exhaust vent or under the lid.
You can find some neat modifications here also.

Dan

Trev
Pork Puller
The middle number please (3): 5

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:57 pm

gegtik, I use a weber replacement thermo with a simple wooden clothespin clipped on to hold it in the vent hole, like you suggested. It works just fine and saves having to drill through the lid.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Schultz
Runner
The middle number please (3): 5

Post by Schultz » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:59 pm

Go to a barbecue store or restaurant supply store and get yourself a CALIBRATABLE thermometer. These will have a little nut on the back to adjust settings and instructions on how to calibrate. Make sure it goes to at least 400 degrees. At a restaurant supply store they are normally referred to as candy thermometers. Just drop it through one of the holes in the top vent and you are good to go.

Hope this helps
Schultz - Happy Grillmore

Proudly Sponsored By;
Ontario Gas BBQ
Wellington Brewery
Kings Wood Products