Question: Stainless steel brickettes used for cooking?

If you are new to BBQ and have questions about cooking, competitions, techniques, or how to get started, then this area is for you. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. THIS FORUM WILL BE HEAVILY MODERATED AND WILL HAVE A 0 TOLERANCE FOR NEGATIVITY.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Chilling_N_Grilling
Dishwasher
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Question: Stainless steel brickettes used for cooking?

Post by Chilling_N_Grilling » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:34 pm

I did a quick google search and came up empty on "Stainless steel brickettes" So here I am

Stainless steel brickettes, yes my step father was searching for new brickettes for his
gasgrill(propane) the rectangle ones with 2 columns of 3 long oval holes. Well needless to
say his search came up empty and being a welder fitter he crafted Identical brickettes
(both shape and size) from Stainless Steel.

Does anyone know of any possible health issues or concerns that may arise from using
these stainless steel brickettes. This is my step fathers grill and was wondering if i should
stop eating over there.

AndrewTRSmith
Gofor

Re: Question: Stainless steel brickettes used for cooking?

Post by AndrewTRSmith » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:43 am

I can't see there being anything wrong with it, after all a lot of high end gas ranges have stainless steel just as close to the flame as they would be on his grill. It wouldn't hurt for him to leave his grill on stun for half an hour before putting any food on to burn off anything that may have been left during the welding process.

doogster
Chicken Choker

Re: Question: Stainless steel brickettes used for cooking?

Post by doogster » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:05 am

Lots of stainless steel pans out there my old trout. Directly on the heat. choice of a lot of chefs I Hear.

Why is he using SS as briquettes? They're a lousy conductor. Hence the use of ferrous pans on induction burners.
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.