Summer pig roast help

If you are new to BBQ and have questions about cooking, competitions, techniques, or how to get started, then this area is for you. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. THIS FORUM WILL BE HEAVILY MODERATED AND WILL HAVE A 0 TOLERANCE FOR NEGATIVITY.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

MoeMoe07
Dishwasher
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Summer pig roast help

Post by MoeMoe07 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:06 am

Hi guys! Great Idea for a forum!!!

So, FINALLY somewhere where I can ask some questions!

Maybe someone here can help me (an newbie), I hope I have not bitten off more than I can chew...

I would like to have a pigroast party this summer, but I need some advice.

1) where can I rent pig roasting equipment in Toronto?
2) how big a pig will I need in terms of raw lbs per adult person?
3) I was thinking of NOT using a gas roaster. I would prefer that...but... how much wood would I need, and I am afraid about uneven the heat might be over time. What kind of wood is best?
4) can anyone suggest a good place to get the pig?

Any other sage advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all the help!

Cheers!!

Cramden
Gofor

Re: Summer pig roast help

Post by Cramden » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:30 pm

Brand new to the forum, but not a stranger to food in Toronto. One place to try for a fresh kill pig in T.O. is the St. Lawrence Market, early on Saturday morning in the north side building. This is, for the most part a farmers market. You'll find him one row away from the east wall. Best to get there around 6:00 am. They tend to go pretty quick.
Cheers
Cramden
"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch!"

dogthebear
Chicken Choker

Post by dogthebear » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:09 pm

St Lawrence Market,, haven't been there in years.
I used to work a grave-yard shift downtown TO as a computer operator 20 years ago.
We used to wake up from a nap at 05:00am on Saturday mornings and go down there for Peamale on a bun.........it was awesome!!!
There was a guy in the back who had the best fried onions to put on his sandwhiches.

We used to watch the guys on the north side of the st. runnning the piggies through the band saw. They'd be setting up at around 05:00am ............

Just thought I'd share that.
MikeDoc,

Cramden
Gofor

Post by Cramden » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:14 pm

The piggies are still there on the north side.
The fried onions are sadly, long gone. He used to make the greatest sandwich with spicy sausage and fried onions, tomatoe and tzatziki. Called it loucinaka. We would have it for breakfast. Dynamite!!! He retired about 10 years ago.
The best place in town for pemeal bacon sandwitch is the Carousel Bakery in the St. Lawrence market, south side.
The market can be expensive at times, but if your into BBQ, you've gotta check this place out. Quality bar none.

Cheers
Cramden
"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch!"

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:12 pm

Todd on the Cookshack forum just did 2 pig roasts in the same day. He's a pro BTW. He's in the southern US, so clearly can't tell you where to get stuff in Canada, but check his thread there. I'd think twice about spit roasting. unless that's ALL you wanna do on the day.
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.

ourman
Runner
The middle number please (3): 5

Post by ourman » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:13 pm

The guy near Kitchener rents out pigroasters www.hogtailsbbq.com if that helps any....I rent mine out also but im in woodstock....and its booked up alot .there are also some party stores and rental places that rent them around here so you could check that out in your area...any butchershop should be able to get you a pig with a weeks notice just tell them you want a BBQ pig and the size...I buy mine here from a couple different guys ...if you buy one that is up to 125# you will pay a bit of a premium over 125# they are about $110 per pound so thats your best value .

Peter
Location: Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Post by Peter » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:33 pm

Up our way prices are highest for under 60#, a little lower for 60 - 100, lower still for 100 - 125 and bast price is for over 125#. A pig over 125 has more fat than one in the 110# range (my favourite). 110# will feed 100 people more or less.

If you are using wood or charcoal, don't build the fire directly under the pig but around the outside. A fire directly under the pig will cause a lot of flare-ups as the fat renders and runs out. Plan on 10 - 12 hours to cook a 110# pig. Keep the fire highest near the shoulders; the hams and loins cook faster than the shoulders.

Sounds like you have some good leads on buying a pig. I would suggest ordering a week or so ahead of time just to make sure you get the size you want.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.

jdinwdsk
Dishwasher

Post by jdinwdsk » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:36 pm

to ourman:
ourman wrote:The guy near Kitchener rents out pigroasters http://www.hogtailsbbq.com if that helps any....I rent mine out also but im in woodstock....and its booked up alot .there are also some party stores and rental places that rent them around here so you could check that out in your area...any butchershop should be able to get you a pig with a weeks notice just tell them you want a BBQ pig and the size...I buy mine here from a couple different guys ...if you buy one that is up to 125# you will pay a bit of a premium over 125# they are about $110 per pound so thats your best value .
Do you cook pigs for people too?

ourman
Runner

Post by ourman » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:17 pm

yes i cook pigs ...about 10 or more a summer im cooking a 159 lb this weekend it cost$159 ....
I cook on charcoal on a self contained rotiserie(sp)
its my 3rd one we built it 2 summers ago....

jdinwdsk
Dishwasher

Post by jdinwdsk » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:37 pm

i'm looking for someone to cook one for me aug 29th in woodstock

ourman
Runner

Post by ourman » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:09 am

This is weird now that i see your tag name I get it ... you called me today(thursday)
ill call you tomorrow..
Flint

vince
Gofor

Post by vince » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:14 am

Hi Folks

This is what we did on the weekend, it was a 90lber took us 7 hrs

TwoMenandAHog

Vince

jdinwdsk