Water question

If you are new to BBQ and have questions about cooking, competitions, techniques, or how to get started, then this area is for you. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. THIS FORUM WILL BE HEAVILY MODERATED AND WILL HAVE A 0 TOLERANCE FOR NEGATIVITY.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

ahrjmrecr
knows what a "fatty" is
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Water question

Post by ahrjmrecr » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:53 pm

When you fill your smoker with water, do you use hot or cold water or doesn't it matter for temperature control?

Thanks,

Jim

Peter
The middle number please (3): 5
Location: Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Re: Water question

Post by Peter » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:17 pm

Conventional wisdom says hot water. If you use cold water, the fire will have to heat the water before the pit comes back to cooking temp. You lose time and fuel. Think about it!
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:21 pm

Everything instructional I've seen says to use hot, even boiling, water.
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.

Burtess
Gofor

Post by Burtess » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:44 am

You can use whatever you want, but what Peter said is true, if you use cold the temp. rise will be slowed (which is not always a bad thing), and you will consume a bit more fuel bringing the volume of water up to boiling.
Generally I will use hot when I start up the WSM, but will replenish with cold (or ambient temp, I keep a bucket of water beside the cooker during the cook).
You will see a slow in temp rise if you use cold water and put a large piece of cold meat on the cooker at the same time and you may notice a longer time to temp stability this way.

Burt :)
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
18.5" OTS
Smokey Joe Platinum
Sterling gasser (Broil King) with SS grates