First smoke, pretty good

If you are new to BBQ and have questions about cooking, competitions, techniques, or how to get started, then this area is for you. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. THIS FORUM WILL BE HEAVILY MODERATED AND WILL HAVE A 0 TOLERANCE FOR NEGATIVITY.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

doogster
Chicken Choker
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

First smoke, pretty good

Post by doogster » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:35 pm

I smoked 6 chicken drumsticks, they were cheap. They would have been great except the cook selected a spice combination that was crap. I used Durkees chicken rub before dropping on the smoker, after about 2 hours I basted with Sweet Baby Ray's (does that sound gay to you?) wing sauce. Cooked at 250 for about 2 hours, sauced, then at 275 for about another 30 minutes. The meat was great, juice dripping down my chin (that does sound gay don't it) but the skin was 'orrible. The areas where the skin had pulled back and were only sauced were great. It was just the skin that was nasty.

I will say the Masterbuilt seems like a self propelled pellet smoker, in that it relies on the wood for heat. I did the smoke with dry wood, I seasoned with soaked wood. I liked the smoke from the dry better, but it just ran out too fast. I will try a soaked wood smoke soon. I will also try loading some small chunks into the firebox next time. Will also try a few sticks with just the rub and some with just the sauce. See which is better. May just be a combo of the 2 that's the prob.
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.

roastntoast
Chicken Choker
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: First smoke, pretty good

Post by roastntoast » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:33 am

No Pictures did not happen

Jules

nashbama
Gofor
The middle number please (3): 5

Post by nashbama » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:46 am

I know what you mean about bad rub. I had a relative give me some store bought rub as a gift once. It was terrible, way too salty and bitter tasting. I threw the rub out and use the jars to store my own.

Making your own rub is pretty quick and cheap, there are plenty of really good recipes on this forum that has helped me develop my own.

One trick that I'll use sometimes is lightly brush the wings with honey, then sprinkle the rub on. It creates a nice caramelized coating and I didn't have to baste while smoking.

doogster
Chicken Choker
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Post by doogster » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:22 pm

Hi Nash, think you're dead right, it was really salty, I've got Dr. Barbecue's recipe, gonna make that before the next try.

Got some photos, just having issues getting it to work with this Mac.
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.