Brisket & Baby Backs / cooking & adding smoke wood

If you are new to BBQ and have questions about cooking, competitions, techniques, or how to get started, then this area is for you. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. THIS FORUM WILL BE HEAVILY MODERATED AND WILL HAVE A 0 TOLERANCE FOR NEGATIVITY.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Tim Q
Firestarter
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Brisket & Baby Backs / cooking & adding smoke wood

Post by Tim Q » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:25 pm

Hello all,

I'm putting on a 11 lb brisket in my 22.5 WSM tommorow morning at 3:00 AM and I was planning to slap the baby backs on tomorrow at noon. Should I use less wood for smoke at the beginning of the brisket and add more when I put the ribs on or should I just not add wood for smoking the ribs. Should I foil the brisket to protect from extra smoke when I put ribs on? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Tim (BB) Q. 
Montreal, Quebec
SMOKIN UP A STORM!

bbbrown
Rib Rubber
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: Brisket & Baby Backs / cooking & adding smoke wood

Post by bbbrown » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:15 pm

Tim, wrap the brisket at 160-170. :ow do you like the new larger WSM? Bryan

Tim Q
Firestarter

Post by Tim Q » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:26 pm

Thanks for the help Bryan.

I put the 11 lb brisket on at 3:00AM figuring 1 1/4 hrs per lb. I set the smoker at 230 f and it hit 165 at around 9:30AM. Man was I surprised. I foiled it and kepted in the oven at 200 f for about 5 hours. I then wrapped in towels and stored in a cooler for about 3 hrs. It was still pretty moist when I sliced it. But why was the brisket done so soon? I put the ribs on at 1:00 and they were perfect after 5 1/2 hrs. in the smoker. Also I roasted 2 beer can chickens in my gas BBQ. (I cooked these at 350 f because I wanted the skin to be crispy) All turned out well. I had 18 people over last Saturday and they were all happy. Not a peep when the food was served, everyone was scoffing it down.

I had full intentions of photographing the event but when it came to showtime all the timing and serving kept me to busy to take pictures. Still new at this so maybe when I get a little more experience.

I was originally set to get the 18.5 WSM but there was only the 22.5 in stock locally. I'm glad I got the bigger one. Made 8 full racks of ribs a few weeks ago and they all fit with no problem. My 11 lb brisket fit on the top rack with plenty room to spare. I belong to an organization that meets for dinner once a month and I just offered to smoke 3 or 4 turkeys. I can't wait!
Last edited by Tim Q on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim (BB) Q. 
Montreal, Quebec
SMOKIN UP A STORM!

Tim Q
Firestarter

Post by Tim Q » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:28 pm

4 turkeys
Tim (BB) Q. 
Montreal, Quebec