Smoking a pork butt.

If you are new to BBQ and have questions about cooking, competitions, techniques, or how to get started, then this area is for you. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. THIS FORUM WILL BE HEAVILY MODERATED AND WILL HAVE A 0 TOLERANCE FOR NEGATIVITY.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

TBam
Dishwasher
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Smoking a pork butt.

Post by TBam » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:01 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to smoking and I just received my dual probe thermometer so I feel more comfortable taking on a pork butt.
My question is, how long should I smoke it for? I know it should reach an internal temp. of 190 deg F. I just want to know about the smoke. Do you just smoke at the beginning or should I smoke it continuously?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Todd

Christopher
Rib Rubber
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: Smoking a pork butt.

Post by Christopher » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:59 pm

When using my WSM I use the Minion Method almost exclusively. I space out my smoke wood throughout the charcoal from the beginning and it ignites as the process moves along.

Google the 'Minion Method' and you'll find a few sites that explain the process in detail.

SmokinQ
Pork Puller

Post by SmokinQ » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:50 pm

This depends upon how much smoke flavor you want to have. If you want a good smoke flavor then smoke away. If you want a little smoke flavor then just add smoke at the beginning. Once the meat reaches about 160 it will stop taking smoke.

Also just use 190 as a guide and it still may not be tender at that point. I cook to 195 or 200 and have even gone to 205 with good results. At 190 start probing to see if it completely tender. Some areas may still be a little tough. There are parts of a shoulder that take a little longer. Also sometimes the probe can be put in near the bone. Another good judge of things are done is if the bone looks like it is ready to fall out.

Good luck

Charcoal
Gofor

Post by Charcoal » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:21 am

I have only done 2 butts on my WSM. I took the first one to 190 F and it could have been done longer. The second one I went to 195 F and it was much better. Next will be a little higher. There's my 2 cents!

TBam
Dishwasher

Post by TBam » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:34 pm

Thanks for all your help and tips.
I put on two on at 12:00 am Friday night (Saturday morning) with a combined weight of just over 7kg. One was a bit larger. I only smoked for the first 1 1/2 hours and then left them until the large one reached an internal temp. of 190 at which point I removed the lid and checked how the bone felt. The small one started to come easily so I removed it right away and wrapped it in tinfoil a towel and put it in a cooler because it was 1:00 pm and my friends weren't coming over until 5:00 pm. The larger one I checked again at 193 and bone started coming out and actually stated falling apart while removing it from the smoker! Wrapped and in the cooler. After about an hour I figured I would just reheat the meat so I removed them pulled them and did the smaller one with a vinegar based sauce, the larger I left alone. We put them in bags in the fridge and reheated when everyone showed up. Great response, firt try, everyone was happy here in Edmonton!

Thanks again!

Todd

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... =601331954

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... =601331954

SmokinQ
Pork Puller

Post by SmokinQ » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:31 pm

Looks good.

Did you top it off with some good slaw?

TBam
Dishwasher

Post by TBam » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:06 pm

SmokinQ wrote:Looks good.

Did you top it off with some good slaw?
Had some slaw, homemaded baked beens, etc. was great.