Whole hog

If you are new to BBQ and have questions about cooking, competitions, techniques, or how to get started, then this area is for you. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. THIS FORUM WILL BE HEAVILY MODERATED AND WILL HAVE A 0 TOLERANCE FOR NEGATIVITY.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

djhl
Dishwasher
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Whole hog

Post by djhl » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:57 pm

Wow so many great ideas. So little time.
What a great sight
Now for my question.
I'm have a family reunion Aug long 2010
Got a large propane (no smoke) rented for the weekend. (I work at an Ag mfg. plant & we rented a BBQ & cooked a hog in 2008 for family picnic & Boss decided to make a cooker for this years BBQ. & rent to locals)
Anyway.
Saturday supper is PIG
Has anyone stuffed the pig before? was it good or not worth the time

Sunday will be some kind of cow parts. I might post questions later. Want to read bbq beef posts first.

Thank you and b4 to every BBQer out there

ourman
Runner
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: Whole hog

Post by ourman » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:22 am

I cook alot of pigs I always stuff them.... mostly with a traditional turkey type stuffing but with apples I find it flavours the meat how ever I have stuffed them with potatoes,chickens,sausage,roast beef . all apples there is no limit...I put the stuffing into a cheesecloth bag that i make up it makes it easier for removal.

Peter
Location: Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Post by Peter » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:10 pm

ourman wrote:I cook alot of pigs I always stuff them.... mostly with a traditional turkey type stuffing but with apples I find it flavours the meat how ever I have stuffed them with potatoes,chickens,sausage,roast beef . all apples there is no limit...I put the stuffing into a cheesecloth bag that i make up it makes it easier for removal.
Tell me more ......
I have never cooked a pig stuffed but it sounds like a good way to get some more flavour into it.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.

ourman
Runner

Post by ourman » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:06 pm

I just got back from a pig roast it was a small pig only 80 lbs so I put 3 loaves of bread 1 onion salt pepper sage some dried some fresh from my herb garden almost a tub of becel margarine 3 sliced apples a small jar of apple sauce...I take a sheet of cheese cloth and put the mixture in it then I roll the cheese coth in a cylinder and tie the ends with butcher cord leaving a good sized loop of string to get a hold of for removal..this made a whole foil container full of stuffing and it went real fast im not even sure if everyone got some...the loins and the insie of the fron shoulders and hams have a fresh sage and sweet apple flavour...I also pump at least a litre of sweetened apple juice into the hog prior to cooking.

Now if im doing a hawiaan (sp) style pig i use a sweet sour type stuffing with pineapple and BBQ sauce with the bread...if im feeling like a southern style cook Ill use smoked sausage in the stuffing or Ill stick the whole coil inside with whole onions and salt...does this help?

i spit cook my pigs ...so Im not sure how it would work if you were cooking them stationary laying flat..
never score or remove the rib membrane when stuffing all the fat will enter the cavity and flood out your stuffing causing a gooey mess(this I learned early in cooking hogs...)

Peter
Location: Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Post by Peter » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:40 am

I have never spit cooked a hog. Maybe I will give it a try.
thanks for the tips, that will help a lot.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.

ourman
Runner

Post by ourman » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:15 am

When spit cooking the stuffing acts as a filler and keeps everything snug and centered on the spit even though I have a real nice rack system the 180-200 lb hogs want to flop a bit after they shrink ........
have a good day...I just put a few racks of ribs on the green egg i cant wait to get at them...only 5 hrs and 40 minutes or so to go....but whos counting..