I smoked for a vegetarian

If you are new to BBQ and have questions about cooking, competitions, techniques, or how to get started, then this area is for you. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. THIS FORUM WILL BE HEAVILY MODERATED AND WILL HAVE A 0 TOLERANCE FOR NEGATIVITY.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Tim Q
Firestarter
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

I smoked for a vegetarian

Post by Tim Q » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:51 am

I had some friends over for a lunch BBQ last week and one of them is a vegetarian. When I put my baby backs on my 22.5 WSM I also put in a foil lined tray with sliced firm tofu. I used a mixture of oak & cherry wood.

I left the tofu in the smoker for 1 1/2 hours. Then refridgerated until the ribs were almost ready. When it was time, I heated a little oil in a frying pan on my gas bbq and fried and added a little fresh garlic and shallots at the end. The tofu was then plated with a squirt of my rib bbq sauce, grilled eggplant, zucchini, red peppers & potato salad.

I was really surprised how well this dish turned out and would cook it again.

My ribs were much better though!
Tim (BB) Q. 
Montreal, Quebec
SMOKIN UP A STORM!

rgaudreau
knows what a "fatty" is
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: I smoked for a vegetarian

Post by rgaudreau » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 pm

ABout 3 weeks ago I actually grilled some extra firm tofu. I first marinated it in BBQ sauce and on the grill it went. Got some nice char marks on there too. My vegetarian sister in law said it was good. i tasted it and was surprised at how flavorful it was... I still can't get past the texture though.

Ren