How much smoke do you need?

If you are new to BBQ and have questions about cooking, competitions, techniques, or how to get started, then this area is for you. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. THIS FORUM WILL BE HEAVILY MODERATED AND WILL HAVE A 0 TOLERANCE FOR NEGATIVITY.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

fatty7879
Dishwasher
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

How much smoke do you need?

Post by fatty7879 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:27 pm

I'm new to the forum and BBQ and have been wondering how much smoke you need. I have smoked a couple of pork butts and some brisket. I get good smoke coming out the chimney at first but once the fire gets going I can hold temp but I don't see smoke or very little smoke. Should the smoke be thick or do you really not need ot see it. I usually start my fires with lump charcoal and then use hickory logs and chunks. I hope this makes sense. Thanks

Trev
Pork Puller
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: How much smoke do you need?

Post by Trev » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:18 pm

Makes perfect sense, fatty (I always wanted to call someone that and get away with it).
You don't want to see thick smoke for too long, but rather a thin blue smoke. It sounds like you're running a stick burner and some of the folks here have lots of experience with them. I'm not one of them, but I do know that once the smoke wood gets warmed up you'll get that thin blue stream that you want. If you're burning logs then you're getting smoke for sure. I use lump, and for a good sized roast I'll only use about 3 small-fist sized chunks of hickory, apple, maple, whatever I've got.
I'm sure the more experienced will chime in too. It's a common question but a good one.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Roger M
Gofor

Post by Roger M » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:46 am

White and puffy smoke is bad news, as Trev mentioned you wnat thin bluish smoke. When its all said and done the amount of smoke you need comes down to preference. So just keep experimenting time will determine what taste you prefer.

Shawn W
Firestarter
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Post by Shawn W » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:56 am

It's a common rookie mistake to think one needs billowing clouds of smoke pouring out, blotting out the sun and freakin' the neighbors :)

I agree with the others on the thin blue, and find what works for you, if unsure go light, you can always add more next time