Directory of Wood Sources across Canada

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Bubba-Q
The middle number please (3): 5

Directory of Wood Sources across Canada

Post by Bubba-Q » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:07 pm

A poll of members indicated that this should be a "stickied" topic.

I'll start with the fact the "Smokinlicious" has a new Canadian presence in their website www.Smokinlicious.ca , and I believe can ship across the country.
There are three types of people in this world; those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened, which one are you?

Qfan
Pork Puller

Smokinlicious

Post by Qfan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:15 pm

For anyone looking for any flavour 'under the sun', I think it's safe to say that Smokinlicious.ca is the resource. Yep, they sponsor Dizzy Pig Canada, but I'd say the same thing even if they didn't; chunks, chips and dust in all sorts of flavours, infusions and even planks. There really isn't anything you could imagine using for wood smoke seasoning/flavouring that they haven't developed already or aren't open to doing up if the interest and demand is there. Simple as that.
Qfan
Homefires Burnin' BBQ Team

Les Noiracochon Charcuterie Club
www.lesnoiracochon.com

CanadaBBQGuy
Gofor

Post by CanadaBBQGuy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:54 am

Here's the link to the Smokinlicious website:

http://www.smokinlicious.ca

It's kind of fitting that this site should top the list. It's a real member favourite.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

CanadaBBQGuy
Gofor

Post by CanadaBBQGuy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:02 am

Suppliers for Edmonton:

You can pick up the basic hickory or mesquite chips and sometimes chunks at Home Depot, Rona, Canadian Tire, and even Wal-Mart or your local supermarket up here.

However, here are two of the absolute best stores for smoking wood in Edmonton:

Barbecue Country
http://www.barbecuecountry.comHuge selection of wood chips, chunks, dust, and pellets. The store also claims to be the biggest BBQ store in Canada, and it has a vast selection of BBQs and gear.

Wholesale Sports
http://www.wholesalesports.com/onlinestore/control/mainLarge selection of chips and some chunks. This is mostly an outdoor store, but they have a few smokers in stock as well. Locations in Edmonton, Calgary, Lethbridge, Kamloops, Saskatoon and Winnipeg.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Aaron
Chicken Choker

Post by Aaron » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:41 am

Canadian bbq guy no disrespect but the largest distributor of bbqs in Canada is www.bbqs.com .That is the website for Ontario gas and bbqs located in Woodbridge Ont.
Aaron

Bubba-Q

Post by Bubba-Q » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:49 am

Aaron wrote:Canadian bbq guy no disrespect but the largest distributor of bbqs in Canada is www.bbqs.com .That is the website for Ontario gas and bbqs located in Woodbridge Ont.
Aaron

the post says
The store also claims to be the biggest

Who is this Ont gas and bbq anyway :o
There are three types of people in this world; those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened, which one are you?

Aaron
Chicken Choker

Post by Aaron » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:58 am

Sorry I read the post to fast.
Harv you dont get out much in the big city? :lol:
Aaron

CanadaBBQGuy
Gofor

Post by CanadaBBQGuy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:51 pm

No worries. *I* didn't say it. *they* did.

But thanks for posting another link, because Ontario Gas BBQ definitely belongs in this list as well. They've also got an excellent selection of pretty well everything you need for BBQing and grilling. Wickedly good website, too! :twisted:

CanadaBBQGuy
Gofor

Post by CanadaBBQGuy » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:27 pm

Here's another source - this time in Toronto:
http://www.sobies.com/

The above source is Sobies. Looks like a nice place.
Of course, any store that sells grills and BBQs has got to be a nice place. :D

VernHalen
Beer Wench

wood Chunks in Regina

Post by VernHalen » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:58 pm

You can get hickory or mesquite chips at Rona, Home Depot, Canadian Tire, Home Hardware Walmart and Superstore and Paradise Leisurescapes also sells a good selection of chips, but as far as I've found there's only one place in Regina that carries wood chunks on a regular basis and that's Wheatland Fireplace:

http://www.wheatlandfireplace.com/

They have hickory and mesquite chunks and a great selection of chips like pecan, apple, cherry and some others. Being a Big Green Egg distributor, they also sell Big Green Egg charcoal.

HTH
CG Smokin' Pro with SFB
Fiesta Stampede gasser

Gattis Grill
Gofor

Post by Gattis Grill » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:53 pm

Niagara Restaurant Supply

Has Smokinlicious chips and chunks, along with assorted other chips (mesquite, hickory, maple, etc.).

Also a distributor of BGE grills and accessories. Has a lot of cool restaurant quality "toys" as well.

smokehousebrad
Gofor

Post by smokehousebrad » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:14 am

We actually chunk our own maple. Being in rural Quebec 4 of my neighbors have wood lots, so I get my own maple and chunk it up myself. It only takes about 10 min to get enough to smoke for about 2 full days (1 piece of firewood sized maple will fill the smoke box on my VC about 4 or 5 times easily). This way we can ensure quality and it saves a ton of cash (since I don't pay for my wood...just give my neighbors a sampling or two here and there).
I hope to die with a rib in one hand and a beer in the other...

phyx
Chicken Choker

Post by phyx » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:21 am

Just found this site:

http://www.charcoalstore.com/c4500/Wood-Chunks

Don't know if they ship to Canada or not, but if they do, they've got a nice selection of wood.

J.Shaft
Gofor

Post by J.Shaft » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:36 pm

I'm curious if anyone has had much sucess trying to source wood outside of "specialty" stores and websites?

For example, I get a lot of cheap or free apple wood from various orchards (granted alot is limb wood) and I'm wondering if anyone has looked at trying to find a lumber company or anything like that which may have "trimmings" of various hardwoods (oak, maple, ect).

sksmoker
Gofor

Post by sksmoker » Thu May 08, 2008 12:46 pm

If you are looking at Canadian wood retailers, there are not many out there. Alot you will find are either not on the internet, or very local and won't want to split out hardwood from firewood stacks. I found a few places east that supply firewood but it is all mixed birch, maple, etc.

Look for firewood under your yellow pages and check your classifiesds. There are few that have nice split wood that is 16" in length and you can buy 1/4 to full cords. Western Lumber out of BC sells cords of apple, but it is expensive if you have to get it from Calgary. $600/cord. http://www.westerncanadafirewood.com/

http://www.trycanada.com/other_canadian ... rewood.htm

If you are looking at bringing wood back in from the USA, you better start now because if you need an import permit and a phyto cert, it will take 10 days just for the import permit to be approved.

http://www.firewood.ca/woodtypes.asp is one that I found. Not sure of prices though. May be close to you, may not be. One good way to find wood is through your local buy/sell/criagslist/classifieds in your area. That should get you started.
The beatings will continue until morale improves