Brisket Trimming 101 - pics may kill dial up users

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Bubba-Q

Brisket Trimming 101 - pics may kill dial up users

Post by Bubba-Q » Mon May 08, 2006 5:10 pm

Mike Trump aka "kcmike" posted this on "the bbq forum" and gave BBQTalk permission to post it here as well.

It is the best brisket trimming article this ol boy has ever seen.

Enjoy.

Some of you were asking a week or so ago about how to dissect a brisket prior to cooking it. As this is the way I always cook mine anymore, I had a buddy take some pictures of me doing one yesterday morning. This first picture shows what I call the "kernel". It's the best place to start, IMHO. The brisket in this picture is "flat-up". The point is in front of and under the kernel.

This shot shows the kernel removed. You can see it hides the fat vein that separates the point from the flat.

ImageThis picture shows the opposite side of the kernel where the separating fat vein can also be seen.

ImageStarting at the top of the point, work your knife in between the flat and point following the vein of fat. Work slowly and you'll not have a hard time following it.

Another angle. Pull the two halves apart as you go. It will make it much easier.

ImageJust keep going and you'll get there. The point and flat have been separated.

Another angle. Now, it's time to trim em' up

Trim all the big hunks of fat off the point. There's plenty of fat inside the point to keep it nice and moist. Besides, where there's fat, there's also zero bark. And burnt ends are all about bark.

Keep trimmin'

ImageMake sure to trim the loose bits of fat off the lean side of the flat too

ImageHere ya go. Finished fat side.

and finished lean side.

Now, just need some mustard and some rub... Or, whatever it is you use on yours.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Oakridge BBQ