Why Weber?

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator:BBQTalk Moderators

rgaudreau
knows what a "fatty" is
The middle number please (3):5
Why Weber?

Post by rgaudreau » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:32 pm

Okay.... so I'm about ready to drop some serious dough on a weber grill. In the past, my grills have always been cheaper models from Canadian Tire or Walmart. Actually Walmart has some models on clearance, but they are not brands I have heard of.

So why should I buy a weber? What made you buy a Weber? How does it differ from other models? Is it more durable (I don't mind dropping some extra dough if it will last me longer than the cheaper models that seem to rust out in my northern ontario winters)?

When answering, perhaps knowing a bit about me would help.

I'm a backyard griller.. love to be out there tending the grill. I do a quite a bit of smoking (ribs, pork butt, and this year will try my first brisket). I grill 4-5 times a week in the summer and smoke something about once every 2 weeks. I'll probably be buying an electric smoker sometime this year or next, but in the meantime, I have no problems keeping smoking on my gas grill with smoke packets.

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Ren
Timmins, ON

Schultz-Happy Grillmore

Post by Schultz-Happy Grillmore » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:43 pm

Everyone has their own opinion on grills. If you're talking about a charcoal grill I think Weber is a far Superior construction and will outlast cheaper grills. If you are talking about propane/natural gas in my opinion the best bang for the buck is a Canadian made Broil King.

Schultz

Duncola
Pork Puller

hhmmmm

Post by Duncola » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:55 pm

:roll: Its all a matter of personal choice and dollars to spend...Weber, Vermont Casting or Napoleon...if propane or natural gas for me it would be Napoleon :) ...I have the CSS610RSB and a killer grill it is...note: Grill....but with the charcoal tray dropped in and a handful of wet cherry chips I have a hybrid smoker, 3 burners, front to back style (perfect for Indirect cooking), a side burner for shrooms! and an IR (Infra-Red) burner to use with the Rotiserrie all wrapped up in a super stainless cabinet...my personal choice :wink: ...

For the true smoking experience I run a Weber Bullet and a pair of ProQ's, nothing quite like 18 hrs spent hangin over one of these puppies :shock: ....

You thought it was simple...laughing :lol: ...now you only have about 15 brands of Charcoal, Lump and briquette style to work through to find the one that works best for you with your unit and wind issues...

Welcome to the world of BBQ :!: ....better get started as you have lots of fun times ahead....
Cheers!

Duncola :wink:
The Q Crew
Thank you to our Generous 2008 Sponsors!
Napoleon Gourmet Grills
P&F Gourmet Meats
Great Charcoal
Two Tree Products - California
Battlefield Equipment Rentals
"The Cat Rental Store"- Canada
Bradley Smokers - Canada
and looking forward to 2009!

rgaudreau
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by rgaudreau » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:04 pm

Just to be clear... I've been looking at a gas grill... quite likely the Genesis E320.

Dkoster
The middle number please (3):3

Post by Dkoster » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:41 am

Personally I would go with a Napoleon, I love their grills and they are a great sponsor of everything BBQ in Canada. Also they are Canadian, drive to there headquarters in Barrie if you like, great store and people there.

But along to the reasons why you should drop serious dough on a serious BBQ.

1) Durability - any weber / napoleon you buy will last you years, sometimes even easily into a decade.

2) Parts - The parts for these grills really haven't changed much over the years at all. You can still buy parts for napoleon grills from years ago, cause they still use them today.

I can easily say that I have bought enough crappy Canadian Tire BBQ's to pay for the Napoleon I bought last year, twice. I have never been super happy with the results from the other BBQ's, all the neat little features, you never use. The Napoleon one I bought does a fantastic cheap at everything, easy to clean easy to put together, full on stainless for the entire thing (except for the plastic parts). Well worth every penny.
Darryl Koster
President / Pit Boss
Buster Rhino's Inc.
http://www.busterrhinos.com
905-436-6986
Franchise Opportunities Now Available!

rgaudreau
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by rgaudreau » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:02 pm

I did not know the Napolean brand. I'm checking out their website now. There seems to be quite a variety to chose from.

ProBBQ
Chicken Choker

Post by ProBBQ » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:47 am

We sell both the Napoleon and Weber here in the UK... Napoleon beats Weber on all counts!
Ian

Stacked & Smokin Hot!
www.probbq.co.uk

rgaudreau
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by rgaudreau » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:51 pm

Just priced out the Napoleon grills here in Timmins. Oh boy... pricey! But they sure look like a solid beast of a grill!!

sugar and spice
Gofor

Post by sugar and spice » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:26 pm

Sorry.......not to step on any toes here but we are going to :lol: :D :lol:
The weber smoky mountain is going to be a quarter of the price of an expensive gas grill and will turn out better bbq flavour.....and for anyone who wants to post a rely arguing this point :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I say in the politest way "YOUR WRONG" :D :D :D

Dkoster

Post by Dkoster » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:40 pm

I don't think anyone is going to argue with you that a charcoal or wood burning smoker is going to turn out a better product than a gas grill - thats a given. I think he was looking more at getting a gas grill now and a smoker this summer. I have no doubt as he reads more and more posts on here he will find that he has more BBQ's than he knows what to do with.....Well actually I have 4 small smokers, 2 gas grills and a large smoker (500lbs at a time). I use them all...and all for different things.

Get the gas, then buy the WSM / ProQ / Offset (I would go offset myself) this summer as well though.
Darryl Koster
President / Pit Boss
Buster Rhino's Inc.
905-436-6986

sugar and spice
Gofor

Post by sugar and spice » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:59 pm

Okay.....not to start WWIII, knowing full well that toes might get a little squished we have a bbq gas hook up to our house which USED to have a very nice gas bbq hooked up to which has been donated to my in-laws house BECAUSE once you go charcoal you don't go back.

P.S. this is JUST our opinion knowing that others differ (even if we know that ours is right) Sorry couldn't resist we are just joking about being over .opinionated.

phyx
Chicken Choker

Post by phyx » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:15 am

Or...he could go all charcoal and have a killer grill that doubles as an offset smoker for less than a WSM.

Chargriller with Side Fire Box--Outlaw is the biggest, Super Pro will get it done just fine though.

It's cheaper, but still very well made IMO for the price. Plus, those cast iron grates are a godsend for grillers! You just can't beat the value of these things. They have a huge grilling surface area, which means lots of room for meat for smoking too.

If you love to tend the fire and tweak things here and there, then the Chargriller is the perfect cooker. Can't go wrong with it.

Just thought I'd throw another option out there. ;)

Dkoster

Post by Dkoster » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:55 am

No fear about offending me, I can usually read fairly well peoples intentions and yours are all in fun (as are pretty much every other post on the board).

I agree, once you go charcoal / wood it's hard to turn back. I have to say though I can truly say my Traeger makes the absolute best chicken I have ever had. I won't even cook chicken at home unless it's on my traeger. See this is where we run into other problems as well. For instance I won't use anything but charcoal to cook my jerked chicken on though, it just doesn't taste right without it. As for my steaks, I freaking love (and I mean LOVE) my napoleon with the high temp infrared grill on it. Does a mean ass job of cooking my steak to perfection easily just the way I like it. Now ribs, ribs for my personal use, backwoods is the way - charcoal and wood. The southern pride I have which is gas and wood is the way to go for brisket and pork (especially when doing 1000lbs a day). No tending, put it in, put wood in. Walk away - come back xx hours later and whamo perfect every time. And on this list, I just realized I am going to have to buy an offset this year as well - so many things cook so damn well on an offset.

Okay, now that we have totally confused this poor man about what to buy lets here his feedback on what he decided to purchase.
Darryl Koster
President / Pit Boss
Buster Rhino's Inc.
905-436-6986

phyx
Chicken Choker

Post by phyx » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:26 pm

LOL Wow...looks like we've made the decision making process even harder!

Honestly, I've heard nothing but the best of comments when it comes to Weber. I'm sure which ever model you decide to use will be of the highest quality.

This won't be the last grill/smoker purchase ever anyway--hell, I've got 3 different grills/smokers I use regularly too. I'm now looking for a bullet type smoker too--WSM/ProQ...something like that. Price and quality are what I'm considering, oh...and trying to convince my wife that another smoker is absolutely necessary for us. :lol: