Ted Reader - Napoleon Grill @ CT

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator:BBQTalk Moderators

shawn
Gofor
Ted Reader - Napoleon Grill @ CT

Post by shawn » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:31 pm

Just wondering if anyone has some comments on this unit. I can't get to CanadianTire.ca right now so I can't paste the link. It is the TR-485 that I am looking at.

Here's the link:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... earch=true
Last edited by shawn on Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DigDug
Gofor
The middle number please (3):5

Post by DigDug » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:57 pm

I'm on Canadian Tire link exactly what are you looking for.
Doug
Aurora
KCBS
NEBS

shawn
Gofor

Link Added

Post by shawn » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:09 pm

I have added the link.

Not really sure of the red but I am not a a fan of SS either.

atruckerswife
Chicken Choker

Post by atruckerswife » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:48 pm

I saw it in the store resently and it is a beautiful unit.

I'm still partial to my 2 year old Centro for propane though and have not had any issues with it.
Louisa

"Some days are blonder then others"

BBQonICE
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by BBQonICE » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:33 pm

I seen that unit...was going to buy it. I bought a Vermont Castings 5027 Model instead for $1000. I thought maybe that one was a bit overpriced (maybe just because Readers name??) for what you get.

All plastic on the sides and no ifrared grill option, no cover, no rotiserie.

The VC I bought has it all and has SS burners, cast grates and ceramic coating lid and all SS sides and front. Better value....my two cents.
http://canadianbbqandice.blogspot.com/

Come on in for a cool one!!

I use a Vermont Castings Special Edition 5027N Natural Gas Grill

DigDug
Gofor

Post by DigDug » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:03 pm

Go to Home depot There is a much bnetter selection there. A lot more manufactureres to choose from.
Doug
Aurora
KCBS
NEBS

shawn
Gofor

Post by shawn » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:48 am

Thanks to everyone who replied but I guess I should have explained what I was interested in. I am trying to stay away from them made in China products and the three companies that I have read about are Weber, Broil King and Napoleon. I don't know how true it is but I have read that Vermont castings was originally being made in North America but the newer models are now being made in China.

I like the Weber Genesis 320/310 unit but the combination of no Rotisserie burner, lower BTU rating(winter BBQing) and the wife doesn't like the knobs being on the side tray has pretty much ruled out this unit.
Genesis EP320
Price: $ 899.99 - $CDN
Features
42,000 BTU from 3 stainless main burners
507 sq. inch primary cooking surface
130 sq. inch secondary cooking space
12,000 BTU side burner
5/16" stainless rod cooking grills
Stainless flavor bars
Black lid & doors
Enclosed cart frame with stainless handles
Electronic ignition
Available in natural gas for an additional $

Broil King, I think has the best value but I am not sure I like the looks of it. It comes with a rotisserie burner(not infrared) and and a rotisserie unit.
Sovereign XL Pro
Price: $ 899.99 - $CDN
Features:
56,000 Primary BTU’s from 4 stainless main burners
600 sq. inch primary cooking area
400 sq. inch secondary cooking space
18,000 BTU Rear rotisserie burner with heavy duty rotisserie kit
10,000 BTU Side burner
Multi position porcelain coated cast iron cooking grills
Stainless steel side shelves
Sure lite Electronic ignition

Napoleon is more expensive but give more of the Broil King features (Knob Placement) in a Weber Look. I know it doesn't come with a rotisserie kit but it does come with the rotisserie burner. As a bonus it is made in Canada.
P450RBNK-8
Price: $ 1,149.99 - $CDN
Features:
42,000 BTU from 3 stainless steel main burners
450 sq. inch primary cooking surface
244 sq. inch secondary cooking space
19,000 BTU infrared Rear burner w/rotisserie kit
3 reversible porcelainized cast iron wave channel grids
Stainless sear plates and warming rack
Space saving LIFT EASEâ„¢ roll top lid Full width, galvanized steel drip pan channels excess drippings into a removable grease cup for easy clean up
Enclosed cart frame
Stainless side shelves
Electronic ignition
Available in midnight black, blue porcelain enamel, copper or brushed stainless steel with matching double walled CONTOURâ„¢ door
Optional side burner available
Optional smoker tray available
Available in Natural gas for $50 more

Ted Reader Napoleon - I don't know where it's made but it does match up to these other guys well.
Napoleon Ted Reader 485 Series 3-Burner Natural Gas BBQ
Price: $ 849.99 - $CDN
Features
Natural gas version of 85-1656
675 sq. in. total cooking surface (485 sq in primary surface)
61,500 total BTU (48,000 BTU stainless steel tube bottom burners and 13,500 BTU ceramic infrared rear rotisserie burner)
Porcelain-enameled cast-iron Waveâ„¢ cooking grids
Stainless steel sear plates vaporize drippings and control flare-ups
Lift Easeâ„¢ roll-top porcelain-coated lid provides oven-like heat retention
Features Accu-probeâ„¢ stainless steel temperature gauge, Electronic Jetfireâ„¢ ignition system for easy starts, as well as stainless steel side shelves with exclusive Wrap Aroundâ„¢ condiment trays
Stainless steel control panel with i-Glowâ„¢ backlit control knobs and Ted Reader signature
Stainless steel double-walled Contourâ„¢ cabinet doors

While I was writing this message out I found something else that helped. the Dimensions and BTU rating indicate that it is a rebranded Naploeon Mirage 3 Burner M485SBNSS - Made in China

Mirage 3 Burner M485SBNSS
Price: $ 909.99 - $CDN
Description:
48,000 BTU from 3 stainless steel main burners
485 sq. inch primary cooking surface
190 sq. inch secondary cooking space
13,000 BTU side burner
3 Stainless 5/16" patented stainless steel WAVEâ„¢ rod cooking grids
Stainless sear plates and warming rack
Engaging i-GLOWâ„¢ backlit control knobs for late night entertaining
Space saving LIFT EASEâ„¢ roll top lid Full width, galvanized steel drip pan channels excess drippings into a removable grease cup for easy clean up
2 curved stainless steel doors with enclosed cabinets
Optional side enclosures provide additional storage
Stainless side shelves
Automatic JETFIREâ„¢ ignition for easy start up
Available only in stainless steel
Optional charcoal tray, smoker tube and stainless steel griddle available
Available in Natural gas for $50 more
President's Limited Lifetime Warranty

Frankly, I could care less that Ted Reader has his name on the unit I was more interested on if anyone knew/noticed if this unit was lacking something that the standard Napoleon units have because Ted has his name on it. I guess I found an answer but feel free to comment anyway I really enjoy getting everyone's input on stuff like this.

BBQonICE
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by BBQonICE » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:55 pm

2007 models of VC are still made in Canada. Pretty much all BBQ's will be made in china shortly.
http://canadianbbqandice.blogspot.com/

Come on in for a cool one!!

I use a Vermont Castings Special Edition 5027N Natural Gas Grill

jcfontario
Gofor

Post by jcfontario » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:44 pm

I am also looking at the same grills to replace an older CharBroil unit whose cast iron burners and grills are starting to crumble. When I was in Home Depot today I saw that there was a Vermont Castings unit, VM508SP for $799. It seems to match up well with the Ted Reeder unit (like you, I am not concerned about the name on the grill), but with a side burner and a marinating tray. I suspect that the marinating would be a nice source of bacteria, unless you are meticulous about keeping it clean.

Dkoster
The middle number please (3):3

Post by Dkoster » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:09 pm

Unless you cleaned it with a sanitizing solution RIGHT BEFORE you use it I would be surprised if you didn't make people sick more than once.

As for the grills being made in China, every single grill that I can think of out there has the vast majority of the products inside made in china. In many cases as long as the parts are preassembled in Canada they don't have to say made in china (Dave Coulson or Caiti could probably answer this one better). Labour is just to expensive in North America in many cases to purchase these parts and keep the prices competitive. North Americans always scream "Buy Canadian - US" until they find something cheaper somewhere else then they latch onto that quickly. Look at the success of wally mart.
Darryl Koster
President / Pit Boss
Buster Rhino's Inc.
http://www.busterrhinos.com
905-436-6986
Franchise Opportunities Now Available!

Schultz-Happy Grillmore

Post by Schultz-Happy Grillmore » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:35 pm

If you are in or near the GTA it is worth the time to check out www.BBQS.com Ontario Gas BBQ is in Concord has a great selection, great service and competitively pricing.

They are also sponsors of the CBA and advertise on this site. Also, just to be totally upfront they also sponsor my BBQ team, but if they didn't I would still shop there.

Schultz
Happy Grillmore

Dkoster

Post by Dkoster » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:02 pm

They don't sponsor me - and probably wouldn't. So I feel safe to say this.

Go to Ontario Gas BBQ's, damn they have a great selection. I haven't even bought anything there yet and have made three trips in the last 8 months just to see what was new. It's like BBQ heaven in there.

Oh yes, forgot to mention - they don't sell any of my products in there either (just want to clarify I am not trying to send people there to increase my business).
Darryl Koster
President / Pit Boss
Buster Rhino's Inc.
905-436-6986

BBQcure
Runner

Post by BBQcure » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:53 pm

I went to Ontario gas last Thursday. I arrived at 5:15pm and they were closed. I chased down a pickup truck with bbqs.com on it and the guy was more than happy to return unlock the place and let me in to get what I needed. first class place with a huge selection.

I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Tim

Smokin` Hot Chick
Antispam:No

Post by Smokin` Hot Chick » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:34 pm

Hello Folks!

Just had a moment so thought I would quickly drop in my 2 cents...

Ted Reader Grills (TR485 & TR605) are manufactured by Napoleon Gourmet Grills. Modifications (or missing items as some of you may refer to them as) are to keep the manufacturing cost, therefore retial costs down. Canadian Tire has a set pricing objective that must be met and Napoleon worked within these guideline to meet their expectations. As for Ted Reader, Napoleon and Ted Reader work very close together and this was a great opportunity to get both names out there, and make the grill more unique, also with small details such as the lid colour (red), etc.

Also, Napoleon has their grills in specialty dealers ONLY and does not do box stores... however it is known that Broil King and other companies are in big box stores... by joining hands with Ted Reader, Napoleon was able to develop a Ted Reader grill to enter the big box stores with a lower priced grill.... typical Napoleon grills COULD NOT be in these stores as pricing is too high, but this is due to their QUALITY.

Hope this helps to clarify anything.

~Caiti~
a.k.a. old Napoleon employee and New member of Ted Reader's management team.

Dkoster

Post by Dkoster » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:46 pm

I love my napoleon grill, first time I ever spent that much on a single gas BBQ. Would I do it again, you betcha.
Darryl Koster
President / Pit Boss
Buster Rhino's Inc.
905-436-6986