Barbeque covers

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

crquack
Firestarter

Barbeque covers

Post by crquack » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:51 pm

In this part of the world rain defines our existence.
For many years I used a plastic cover over my BBQ when not in use. Then I noticed that, if anything, the BBQ stayed wet longer under the cover due to condensation and general inability to dry on the (rare!) days without rain. Also one had to remove assorted fauna every time one wanted to use the BBQ.
Last two years or so I dispensed with the cover (partly because it got torn and useless). The BBQ was thus exposed to elements all the time.
I found little difference in the outward appearance of the chassis of the BBQ. The interior was protected by the closed cover anyway.

My question is: what does everyone here do?
1) Put the cover on BBQ every time when not in use?
2) Protect the BBQ only in the "off season"
3) Not bother at all

What are the manufacturers recommendations?

Diva Q
The middle number please (3): 5

Post by Diva Q » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:36 am

I protect and cover my bbqs all the time. My covers all have a flannel backing.
http://www.divaQ.ca
Visit my blog http://www.divaqbbq.blogspot.com

Traeger Canada
Hovey's Gourmet Meats
Basques Hardwood Lump Charcoal
Big Rock Brewery
Alcan

Christopher
Rib Rubber

Post by Christopher » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

I only leave one cooker outside all the time, my natural gas Napoleon. Whenever it's not in use I have it covered. It's about 7ish years old now and the once supple rubber coating is now breaking down so I'll have to look into getting a new one.

I've never faithfully covered a grill before this one (although I had never spent as much on a grill before this) and it's still in great shape. I don't know if it's the build quality or constant covering, but I've never had a cooker last this long either.....

Dkoster
The middle number please (3): 3

Post by Dkoster » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:45 pm

I think it's the quality, I paid good money for mine too and I am horrible for covering it up. In the last year it has been covered for far less than it has had a cover on it. Looks brand new still. I remember buying other BBQ's and the paint would be pealing off it by now.
Darryl Koster
President / Pit Boss
Buster Rhino's Inc.
http://www.busterrhinos.com
905-436-6986
Franchise Opportunities Now Available!

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:33 pm

I cover our VC gasser, the Traeger and Cookshack pellet poopers always. It is imperative to cover the Traeger and Cookshack, as the controls must be protected from exposure to moisture. The covers I use have ventilation 'grids' built in to them, so condensation is not an issue. I do not cover any of the other cookers, however.
Many thanks to sponsors supporting my team:
Traeger Canada ~ Smokinlicious Gourmet Wood Products ~ Brant Food ~ Cooshack ~ Jim Bray Trailer Sales ~ Chicago 58 ~ Hogewoning Toyota

CBJ# 39745 (there's my BBQ Goddess # Jim)

BBQ Babe
Runner

Post by BBQ Babe » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:56 pm

L0L.. This will seem a little funny becuase I do work at Napoleon Fireplaces, but that is also the BBQ that I have, and I always cover it when not in use (with a Napoleon cover of course...sorry to sound so bias)... I can't say that I have every compared it to a BBQ that didn't have a cover but my BBQ still looks brand new and it is over 3 years old!!

SmokinQ
Pork Puller

Post by SmokinQ » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:12 pm

I have a Kenmore grill a Big Block Smoker and a ProQ and all have covers and are used mostly. :wink:

Sometimes however the covers do forget to be put back on since I eat too much and drink too much to get off the couch after dinner.

SoEzzy
Gofor

Post by SoEzzy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:35 pm

If you want a replacement custom fitted cover.

Try Mels-bbq-covers.com http://www.mels-bbq-covers.com/

He does a great job and is a nice guy to boot.
"There is no such thing as a little garlic." A.Baer

http://www.soezzy.com