A New Toy

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator:BBQTalk Moderators

jcfontario
Gofor
The middle number please (3):5
A New Toy

Post by jcfontario » Sat May 24, 2008 9:28 pm

Went to Canadian Tire today prepared to buy the Ted Reader/Napoleon TR-485 grill, when I noticed that they also had the next model up (I think) the TR-605 as well, It is listed at $1199, but was on sale for $849, so for $50 more than the TR-485 model that I was originally looking at, I got an extra 170 sq in plus the IR burner. Just couldn't pass that up. Hope to have the assembly done tomorrow and take it out for a cook. Never had a Napoleon before, but from what I have I read they sound great.

iskander
Beer Wench

Post by iskander » Sun May 25, 2008 2:45 pm

Great buy! get ready to get your world rocked.

Diva Q

Post by Diva Q » Sun May 25, 2008 8:35 pm

Congrats on your newest addition to the family.
http://www.divaQ.ca
Visit my blog http://www.divaqbbq.blogspot.com

Traeger Canada
Hovey's Gourmet Meats
Basques Hardwood Lump Charcoal
Big Rock Brewery
Alcan

Oryx
Firestarter

Post by Oryx » Mon May 26, 2008 2:05 pm

Congrats on the Q, How long did it take for assembly

jcfontario
Gofor

Post by jcfontario » Mon May 26, 2008 5:34 pm

Actually it went together quite easily - only took a couple of hours to assemble. Make sure that you have a socket wrench for the screws; a screwdriver doest work very wel I found. On the positive side, the burners and controls are all contained in the top assembly as a single unit, you dont need to fiddle with buners and gas lines. On the negaative, it makes the top assembly quite heavy, so you need two people to lift and position it.

rgaudreau
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by rgaudreau » Fri May 30, 2008 11:35 pm

I went to CT today to pick up the TR485. the model up was no longer on sale, but the 485 was reduced 150$.

If anyone is looking for this deal, it's not marked discounted in the flyer... however, if you look it up online, it has the 150$ marked off. It rang up correctly at the cash... so I left very happy.

Sale started today and I got the before last one at the store in Timmins.

They also had a Weber genesis end of line model... natural gas.. regular 799 for 499... now that's a smoking deal

rgaudreau
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by rgaudreau » Sat May 31, 2008 4:21 pm

Took about 1.5 hours to assemble... would have gone faster if there had been 2 of us for the whole time.

I have to commend NApoleon for having some of the best instructions I've seen. WAs nice to have all the parts compartmentalized and identified.

HArdest part for me was securing the BBQ on the frame... those 4 little screws kept me busy for almost 30 minutes trying to get things lined up right....

Burning off the gunk now and seasoning my cooking grids... I've got ribs in my smoker... can't wait to finish them off on the grill.

Ren

phyx
Chicken Choker

Post by phyx » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:07 am

rgaudreau wrote: Burning off the gunk now and seasoning my cooking grids... I've got ribs in my smoker... can't wait to finish them off on the grill.

Ren
Congrats on the new grill!

But I have to ask....why smoke ribs and finish them on the grill? Why not just cook them until done in the smoker?

I've never finished my ribs on the grill, so I'm wondering if there's an advantage to it that I should try.

Thanks!

rgaudreau
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by rgaudreau » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:16 pm

I threw them on the grill to sauce them and caramelize the sauce only... they were fully cooked by the time they hit the grill.

ROXY
Pit Master

Post by ROXY » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:23 pm

phyx wrote:
rgaudreau wrote: Burning off the gunk now and seasoning my cooking grids... I've got ribs in my smoker... can't wait to finish them off on the grill.

Ren
Congrats on the new grill!

But I have to ask....why smoke ribs and finish them on the grill? Why not just cook them until done in the smoker?

I've never finished my ribs on the grill, so I'm wondering if there's an advantage to it that I should try.

Thanks!
It does do a nice job of caramelizing the sauce, also the grill marks are purdy.. :wink: