shelters

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

roaster
Gofor
The middle number please (3): 5

shelters

Post by roaster » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:04 am

What do you use or have for a shelter for your cooker. I used to have a area in a carport for my cooker, But that has been taken for other things. I had a six leg canopy. But the wind liked to move it around. So what do you have ? I would really like to have a concrete base with a roof overhead to keep the rain and snow off of my cooker.
Thanks Scott

Roaster
good food,good friends = good time

Diva Q

Post by Diva Q » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:36 am

We have snowbanks around our cookers. Between that and the fence we share with out neighbours is it.

Never seem to have much of a problem but we would love to build a Q-bana with open sides and a slanted roof.
http://www.divaQ.ca
Visit my blog http://www.divaqbbq.blogspot.com

Traeger Canada
Hovey's Gourmet Meats
Basques Hardwood Lump Charcoal
Big Rock Brewery
Alcan

roaster
Gofor

Post by roaster » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:38 am

that si what i am thinking of also. looking for ideas

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:24 am

For now I just use it in a relatively sheltered spot close to the back of the house. It seems to be fairly well protected from the wind and weather there.
A little Q-bana is in our plans, also, but we're not there just yet.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Christopher
Rib Rubber

Post by Christopher » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:43 am

A Q-bana will be in the works for me as well, as it sits now I only smoke on clear nights. I hate being a slave to weather. When not in use I store my cookers in the garage (I like to keep 'em looking as new as possible).

Charcoal
Gofor

Post by Charcoal » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:15 pm

Hello Roaster, I have no special shelter for cooking. I do have a portable wind break that I use. It is made of three panels of ¾ inch ply wood each being 2 ft wide and 4 ft high. The wood came from a construction site at work so the only cost was the hinges ($15). It's not pretty but works great. It folds flat for easy storage. I have used it to shelter a propane burner and pot for making boiled dinners as well as deep fried turkeys and a propane BBQ. It will also be put to work protecting my WSM when I get it. See the links below for photos of it.

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:52 pm

Charcoal, that's a great little shelter for ice fishing, too.
It doesn't take much to do the trick.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Charcoal
Gofor

Post by Charcoal » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:22 am

Trev wrote:Charcoal, that's a great little shelter for ice fishing, too.
It doesn't take much to do the trick.
It's funny you mention that Trev. I ordinal built the wind break for an ice fishing trip to Lake Nipissing. We were renting an ice bungalow on Callander Bay. These bungalows have everything you need to stay out on the ice for a weekend or more. Propane stove with oven, lighting and BBQ, bunk beds, thermostatic control heater, small kitchen counter with sink, toilet. Water was supplied in 5 gal jugs. One of our meals was going to be a boiled dinner. Trying to heat a large pot in a wind would be difficult to say the least. Thats why the wind break was made. It worked great for the boiled dinner and it was also used to shelter the BBQ. Since that trip its been used many times. I plan on cleaning it up this summer and give it a coat of paint.

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:27 am

I'll have to make me one.
Looks like just the ticket.

8)

Dysartsmoker
Beer Wench

Re: shelters

Post by Dysartsmoker » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:25 pm

roaster wrote:What do you use or have for a shelter for your cooker. I used to have a area in a carport for my cooker, But that has been taken for other things. I had a six leg canopy. But the wind liked to move it around. So what do you have ? I would really like to have a concrete base with a roof overhead to keep the rain and snow off of my cooker.
Thanks Scott

Roaster

Try this

Dysartsmoker
    Beer Wench

Re: shelters

Post by Dysartsmoker » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Dysartsmoker wrote:
    roaster wrote:What do you use or have for a shelter for your cooker. I used to have a area in a carport for my cooker, But that has been taken for other things. I had a six leg canopy. But the wind liked to move it around. So what do you have ? I would really like to have a concrete base with a roof overhead to keep the rain and snow off of my cooker.
    Thanks Scott

Roaster

Try this

Works great

dogthebear
      Chicken Choker

monoxide?

Post by dogthebear » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:39 pm

not worried about monoxide?

roastntoast
      Chicken Choker

Post by roastntoast » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:55 pm

I'm building a smoker room 8' x 16' off my work shop and I was gonna use a bathroom fan above my smoker for the vent so I can cook out of the wind in the Winter time as well. I picked up a 8' stainless counter from a restaurant and got a 2 basin sink as well. Oh and picked up a beer fridge as well. Just hope it will be big enough for everything I need.

Jules

Firlotte
      Gofor

Post by Firlotte » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:40 pm

hmmm... and here I just happen to have a shiny black range hood... I might have to perform some modifications for it to work with my Traeger Texas but what the heck, what else am I going to do while waiting for the plow to bury my driveway?
      Where there's smoke, there's flavor

stevo
      Runner

Post by stevo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:11 am

Hey Charcoal, thanks for the memories. I too stayed in one of the Lake Nipising "mansions". Nothing better then to lay in bed and watch a tip-up all day. By far one of the most relaxing vacations I went on. For the record we were there for 3 days and yes we got skunked. We then turned to the game of beer bottle in the whole. Kinda like a northern Canada horse shoes.

Good looking wind break by the way. I will slap one together this weekend.
      sit down, shut up and smoke some butts!!!!