Remote monitoring for all the tinkerers out there

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Luke
Dishwasher

Remote monitoring for all the tinkerers out there

Post by Luke » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:23 pm

Hey all,

I'm new to this, so I apologize if it's been asked before. A bit of my short, brief history on this one: I was watching the Food Network about a week ago, and saw someone cooking a pork butt to be made into sandwiches. I thought, "Hey, I could give this a try."

A week later, I'm sitting here staring at a Maverick ET-71 (the place I tracked down that carried Maverick stuff didn't have the ET-73, but that's beside the point; the principle is still the same). The question in my mind: this thing has an alarm on it. How much work would it be to crack this thing open, wire the alarm out to some sort of processor (I would likely buy an Arduino because they're cheap and appear to be easy to experiment with), and have this thing send a text message if the alarm went off? I live in Regina, and can more or less get from one end of the city to the other in the span of 15 minutes if something goes wrong. Has anyone else ever had the desire or need to take off for an hour while making BBQ? Is this entirely unnecessary due to something that I don't know of but does the exact same thing? Just looking for input. Thanks for your time.

Luke

Dkoster
The middle number please (3): 3

Re: Remote monitoring for all the tinkerers out there

Post by Dkoster » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:53 pm

Being a geek with little time to tinker on stuff like this I think it's a cool idea. Not sure how many people would use it, I would just to say I could though.
Darryl Koster
President / Pit Boss
Buster Rhino's Inc.
http://www.busterrhinos.com
905-436-6986
Franchise Opportunities Now Available!

Rob R
Gofor
The middle number please (3): 5

Post by Rob R » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:05 pm

Hey Luke... Sorry I can't help with your question (Sounds like a cool idea though, what are you cooking on?)
Glad to see another member from Sask though!
Last edited by Rob R on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoEzzy
Gofor
The middle number please (3): 5

Post by SoEzzy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:12 pm

Others have tinkered already! Look up the information on the Guru and the Stoker, admittedly they also control fans to maintain the temperature in the pit.

My business partner was using a nice little board that had the ability to input / output via USB or serial port and 16 sensors /feeds.

He's away today back tomorrow, I'll ask him for more info if you'd like?
"There is no such thing as a little garlic." A.Baer

http://www.soezzy.com