Vacuum Packers

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Charcoal
Gofor
The middle number please (3): 5

Vacuum Packers

Post by Charcoal » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:55 am

I'm looking to get a Vacuum Packer and would like some comments on models that members have. It will be for home use and I have a budget. I'm hoping to get one that is available at locale outlets like Canadian Tire or Home Hardware.

Trev
Pork Puller

Re: Vacuum Packers

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:30 am

Hi Charcoal, recently my wife went out and bought me one and I'm happy with it. It's a 'Seal a Meal' model and she claims it's made by the same company as the Food Saver brand (Rival?). The rolls are interchangeable. Anyway, this model is quite a bit cheaper than a Food Saver and has performed perfectly so far. It's an entry level sealer, but it will get you into the game for a good price and it seems like a pretty solid unit so far.
Good luck.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

DigDug
Gofor

Post by DigDug » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:37 am

http://www.foodsavercanada.com/Home/Default.aspx

I use my food saver everyday. I've never had to throw out anything that was freezer burnt since I purchased it years ago. I have friends that bought the knock off machines but they lack the vacumm power to pull out all the air and the bags aren't as good. The foodsaver also works great when reheating BBQ.
When I make too many ribs I put the remainder in the foodsaver and freeze them. To reheat I take them directly out of the freezer and put them in a pot of boiling water. (45 min)Anyone would think that you just took them off the smoker as they are heated all the way through and have retained there moisture.
All my uneaten pulled pork is placed into portioned bags and frozen. Just heatup like the ribs.
You would think I'm a food saver salesman but I'm not. I just can't think of any kitchen product I use more than this.
Buy a good one you wont be sorry. It's money well spent.
Doug
Aurora
KCBS
NEBS

mtnhop
Dishwasher

Post by mtnhop » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:31 pm

I'd go for the Food Saver also. As said previously, great for all the left over BBQ. I picked mine up on Ebay for a great price and love it.

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:27 pm

Trev wrote: it's made by the same company as the Food Saver brand (Rival?).
To correct my mistake here, in fact Seal-a-meal (Rival brandname) and Food Saver are both owned by Jarden Consumer Solutions.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

roastntoast
Chicken Choker

Post by roastntoast » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:25 am

I got my Food saver at Costco. They had a great sale on the bag last week as well. Even when they are not on sales they have the best price.

Jules

Adrienne
Rib Rubber

Post by Adrienne » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:17 am

The bags go on sale, about this same time, at Costco, every year - making it easy to stock up. FoodSaver is a great choice.
Many thanks to sponsors supporting my team:
Traeger Canada ~ Smokinlicious Gourmet Wood Products ~ Brant Food ~ Cooshack ~ Jim Bray Trailer Sales ~ Chicago 58 ~ Hogewoning Toyota

CBJ# 39745 (there's my BBQ Goddess # Jim)

SmokinQ
Pork Puller

Post by SmokinQ » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:35 am

I have the Food Saver which I purchased at Costco as well. It is a great item and I use it a lot. You will not be disappointed if you go with the Food Saver.

tomg
Gofor

Post by tomg » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:15 am

If you are on a budget look at the Reynolds Handi-Vac, it's a little hand held sealer. I picked one up for $24.95 in the USA. It really works well, I'm impressed.

roastntoast
Chicken Choker

Post by roastntoast » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:51 am

Yup , works great , I got one 2 weeks ago , but I only paid $14.95 for mine.

Jules

tomg
Gofor

Post by tomg » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:51 pm

Hey Jules, I ordered mine from the Reynolds website, it came with five 9 packs of gallon size bags and a few quart size. This thing really works!