Volunteered for work cookout

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

AndrewTRSmith
Gofor
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Volunteered for work cookout

Post by AndrewTRSmith » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:37 pm

Hey Everyone,

I've been volunteered (voluntolled) to cater a work function / charity event. It will involve cooking for about 40 persons, 6 of which are vegetarians.

I was thinking of doing portobello mushrooms topped with spinach, bruchetta mix and mont jack cheese for the vegarians (thankfully not vegans)

Then pulled pork, sausages and burgers for the rest. What would be an appropriate amount of burgers, sausages, and lbs of pork shoulder to feed this many people. My first thinking was 15lbs of pork shoulder, 36 burgers and 24 sausages but this might be overkill. Also going to make about 2L of homemade bbq sauce for the event.

This will be the first time doing an event like this for me and i'm restricted to my gasser grill so pre cooking the pulled pork and reheating on the gasser is a must.

any hints, tips, warnings and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

SmokinQ
Pork Puller
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: Volunteered for work cookout

Post by SmokinQ » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:25 am

Here is a good recipe for veggie burgers I have cooked a few times for some vegetarian friends to rave reviews.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Homemade-B ... etail.aspx
These burgers are simple to make but one word of advice is to drain and use paper towels to suck up all of the moisture so the burgers hold together.

15 pounds of PP is that finished weight or precooked weight? If it is finished weight you are going to get about 45 sammies out of it for 34 people.

Before you calculate how much to cook what are you going to offer for sides? IF you are giving out 2 or 3 sides then you may need a little less meat, if just 1 side you will need a little more meat.

Good luck

5aces
Gofor
The middle number please (3): 5

Post by 5aces » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:23 am

http://www.azbbqa.net/catering/

Just download Excel Viewer from Microsoft website and check it out!

dogthebear
Chicken Choker

Post by dogthebear » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:31 am

I did one for about 60 people a few weeks ago.

I cooked 60 burgers , 20 sausages ,, and about a dozon (sausage sized) hot-dogs.
The sausages were really good , and would have gone through more of them ,, but I wasn't thinking , and kept throwing more bugers on. There were left over burgers , but not too many , and you want to have enough food , right?

We had all kinds of salads, and a big pickle ,meat and cheese appitizer tray

I have an big 8 burner gas grill,, you ought to arrange to rent one. Otherwise nobody will be eating at the same time.

Let the veggie-tarians bring their own food!!
just kidding.

MikeDoc