favorite type of wood

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

Stella
Dishwasher
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

favorite type of wood

Post by Stella » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:12 pm

I'm new to this site and to smoking food.
Was just woundering what your favorite type of wood to use is and why?

Adrienne
Rib Rubber
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: favorite type of wood

Post by Adrienne » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 am

Firstly, welcome to the site!

I use differing species of woods, as well as differing applications for different foods. Sometime mix up the species to change things up a bit. Fruit wood is always in the mix, however, I change up the hard wood often.
Many thanks to sponsors supporting my team:
Traeger Canada ~ Smokinlicious Gourmet Wood Products ~ Brant Food ~ Cooshack ~ Jim Bray Trailer Sales ~ Chicago 58 ~ Hogewoning Toyota

CBJ# 39745 (there's my BBQ Goddess # Jim)

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:33 am

Welcome aboard, Stella.
I use hickory and apple about 75% of the time, in some form or another. Sometimes mixed, sometimes straight. Mesquite is good too, but much stronger than some. Cherry is nice for colour and pecan is a nice taste as well, but lighter than mesquite.
I guess one of the fun parts about bbq is the discovery aspect of things.
One thing I've learned about being here is 'don't be afraid to ask questions', there's a ton of knowledge here and lots are more than willing to share it.
Have fun.

Trev.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

kevinv
Runner

Post by kevinv » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:36 pm

I mostly use hickory. It mostly depends on what you are cooking.

Stella
Dishwasher

Post by Stella » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:15 pm

Thanks all.I guess I just have to try them all and find out what works with what food.

mikita21
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by mikita21 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:35 pm

It really depends on what you are cooking. Hickory is the staple, of course, and in Canada you might have trouble finding quantities of the woods southern pros use. But too much hickory can overpower any gentle spicing you are trying to impart, and if it stays in the back of the mouth long after supper, you may have gone overboard.

You can try charcoal (briquets or lump) and use hickory for flavoring; One of the true masters of the game uses all peach wood, but he lives in Georgia. Maybe in Niagara you could do that.......

Mesquite probably for beef and not pork (anyone want to weigh in on that aspect???)

Maple does not give the flavour you might think it does; Oak for heat and then a fruit wood for sweetness is a very nice way to do it as well.

just some thoughts. And say, what time is supper?

mikita21
"...'cause ya don't win friends with salad!"

stevo
Runner

Post by stevo » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:16 am

Welcome..

maple and apple/cherry for pork
pecan or maple and apple for poultry
oak for beef
sit down, shut up and smoke some butts!!!!

SmokeHound
Gofor

Post by SmokeHound » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:53 pm

Welcome Stella!

I'm fairly new here also (not new to smoking). I love this forum...there is SO MUCH great info here and folks are really helpful!

Regarding woods.... Here's what I've been doing....

Lump charcoal for heat, along with white oak

For flavoring, I usually use a blend of hickory/cherry/mesquite in a 4:1:1 ratio (mesquite can get really strong). I use this mainly for beef and sometimes for chicken.

For pork, I'll omit the mesquite (and just go 2:1 - oak:cherry). I've used apple for chicken and pork and it's fine, very mild. Alder is GREAT on salmon and halibut. I've used Pecan wood but didn't much notice a big enough difference to hassle with shipping it to my house.

This is all a matter of personal preference.... And half the fun is experimenting with the different flavors each wood type gives....

Have fun!! ;-)
New Braunfels offset wood smoker
Brinkman 5-burner 60K BTU gas grill
DIY 4' fire/BBQ pit
Weber-Smokey Joe

jcfontario
Gofor

Post by jcfontario » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:51 pm

Stella,
I am similar to mikita. I use briquettes just to get the fire started and then use maple as the base wood for heat.

For the flavour, I use apple and hickory chunks for pork and use mesquite chunks (but only a little, since it can be strong) for beef. For the flavour I use wood chunks (fist sized) that I buy in the US, and not chips or shavings. I find that chips just fame out quickly and I personally don't think that soaking chips so they smoulder is the way to go. If you are smouldering the chips, I don't think that you are getting the flavour of the wood, you are just making steam. Just my opinion, I will defer to the experts. I would love to be able to get my hands on some other fruit wood, like peach or apricot, or nut wood like pecan to see what they would be like on chicken or pork.

John

stevo
Runner

Post by stevo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:11 pm

Hey John

Your fruit woods pretty well tast the same as do your nut woods. Apple and cherry are very similar and pecan and hickory do the same. Oak falls tom it's own like mesquite. This is my own opinion.

As mentioned I am partial to maple as a primary. This is because the maple is a good base for any types of meat.

Hope my opinion helps..
sit down, shut up and smoke some butts!!!!

kaizen-bbqer
Beer Wench

Post by kaizen-bbqer » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:02 pm

Part of the fun for me is discovering all the flavors different types of woods and wood blends can give to food. Right now I am using Red Oak, Sugar Maple and Apple. By next year I’ll have White Oak, Pear, Black Walnut, and Plum ready to go.

Like SmokeHound says it is all a matter of personal preference!

Have fun, and be sure to share with us what you discover!

nashbama
Gofor

Post by nashbama » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:19 am

I've experimented with lots of different types of wood, I always come back to hickory. It pairs well with just about everything. Although I'll use mesquite sometimes when I'm doing pork chops or chicken and I plan on using a spicier sauce. Hickory for sweet, mesquite for spicy, but that's just me.

I'm not sure if they sell Jack Daniels' oak barrel chips up there, but if you come across some save your money. They smell good, but are more expensive and I couldn't tell the difference from regular oak chips. I think it's more of a novelty item.

Jasper
Beer Wench

Post by Jasper » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:26 pm

The sell them here at Bass Pro Shop for $6 a bag. I used them once and found the flavor (on chicken breasts) to be too strong of whiskey.

jmb27
Dishwasher

Post by jmb27 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:33 pm

I like to use maple to get the fire lit and then apple and cherry for smoke

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:01 pm

As you prolly know Utah is big Q country (not) so all I've seen are hickory and mesquite chips and mesquite chunks (gotta get some of those). I will hafta check out the sporting/hunting stores though. Utah IS big hunting country (I only shoot animals with a camera, and I'm not even very good at that) if it's alive when I get there it'll be alive when I leave.

BTW, I did not expect the not thing to be funny, it was well pointed out in Borat that not jokes are funny, NOT!
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.