Amount of lump charcoal

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator: BBQTalk Moderators

peppermonster
Firestarter
The middle number please (3): 3
Antispam: No

Amount of lump charcoal

Post by peppermonster » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:36 pm

How much cooking time can I expect ( approx.) from a chimney full of lump charcoal. I would be cooking a whole chicken using indirect heat (400* @ 20 minutes per pound).

Oh yeah, I am using an 18" Weber Kettle.

What is a UDG?

Thanks in advance.

kevinv
Runner
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: Amount of lump charcoal

Post by kevinv » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:41 pm

I was always told that constant heat last 45 minutes, but it depends on the brand.

when I do beef ribs, I know that i need at least 3 to 4 times adding charcoal lump. This gives me 3 to 4 hours of cook time. Mine is on a small charcoal kettle from canadain tire.

kevin

Burtess
Gofor

Post by Burtess » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:29 pm

It depends on how you are preparing the chicken (whole ie: beer-in-the-butt, spatchcocked) and what chimney you are using.

I would find it difficult to indirectly cook a chicken on an 18", there isn't too much room.
The Weber chimney is the largest one, others tend to be smaller, so this would dictate how much charcoal you are using.

I would lay down a full chimney of unlit, and pour a half of lit on top. That should give you good burn time. When you are done cooking, just shut all the vents to extinguish, and you can reuse the unburnt.

Burt :)
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
18.5" OTS
Smokey Joe Platinum
Sterling gasser (Broil King) with SS grates

peppermonster
Firestarter

Post by peppermonster » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:30 am

Burtess wrote:It depends on how you are preparing the chicken (whole ie: beer-in-the-butt, spatchcocked) and what chimney you are using.

I would find it difficult to indirectly cook a chicken on an 18", there isn't too much room.
The Weber chimney is the largest one, others tend to be smaller, so this would dictate how much charcoal you are using.

I would lay down a full chimney of unlit, and pour a half of lit on top. That should give you good burn time. When you are done cooking, just shut all the vents to extinguish, and you can reuse the unburnt.

Burt :)
So you suggest a chimney and a half will give how much time?

stevo
Runner
The middle number please (3): 5

Post by stevo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:31 pm

A beer can chicken can be done on an 18. I did one and put one chimney of unlit around the outside edge and another lit chimney on top. Mind you it was a chicken that I brined which cooks faster. Tasted great. Beer can chicken is the way to go. The brine process isn't realy a must in this method though. As mentioned it realy depends on you coal you are using. If it is your first attempt I would suggest using a briquette instead of a lump. Once you've got that figured out then you can move to the lump keeping in mind that lump burns hotter and faster. Good luck.
sit down, shut up and smoke some butts!!!!

ddddyyyyy
Dishwasher

Post by ddddyyyyy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:36 am