New WSM and hosting Poker Night - need ideas!

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator:BBQTalk Moderators

Grillman
Gofor
The middle number please (3):5
New WSM and hosting Poker Night - need ideas!

Post by Grillman » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:20 pm

I'm hosting a poker night next Friday and I'm looking for some suggestions and recipes to serve 8 poker Mates. So far, I've managed to cook-up some very good ribs so I'll probably go with those but I'd like to find some good finger foods to serve up. I'm thinking chicken drumsticks and maybe something else...not sure what.

Ideas?

stevo
Runner

Re: New WSM and hosting Poker Night - need ideas!

Post by stevo » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:10 am

I assume that ABT's are already on the menu so I would add some jerk chicken wings. Grilled pizza would be cool too. top it off with some bbq nachos. Just things that I am craving now :D b6
sit down, shut up and smoke some butts!!!!

Duncola
Pork Puller

Post by Duncola » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:26 am

Drumsticks wrapped in bacon with a maple glaze....mmmmmmmmmmmm :wink:

...make up a killer coleslaw ahead with a hit of cayane pepper in it to wake them up....heheheheh :twisted:

or to really wake up the neighbours do BBQ baked beans with peaches and a shot or two of JD and a dash of hot sauce.... :oops:

Duncola

Grillman
Gofor

Post by Grillman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:22 am

stevo wrote:I assume that ABT's are already on the menu so I would add some jerk chicken wings. Grilled pizza would be cool too. top it off with some bbq nachos. Just things that I am craving now :D b6
O.K., I'll admit it, I know little about ABT's (shameful I know). Isn't that a jalapeno wrapped in bacon? I'm trying to feed my friends...not kill them! I'm assuming I'm missing something...

SmokinQ
Pork Puller

Post by SmokinQ » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:59 pm

Grillman wrote:I'm hosting a poker night next Friday and I'm looking for some suggestions and recipes to serve 8 poker Mates. So far, I've managed to cook-up some very good ribs so I'll probably go with those but I'd like to find some good finger foods to serve up. I'm thinking chicken drumsticks and maybe something else...not sure what.

Ideas?
My first suggestion would be to invite me.

Maybe try some moink balls.

Some ABT's would go over real well. When I cook them they do not last long.

Some simple sausages cooked on the smoker really turn out good as well. They are easy to cook don't take too long and are much better smoked then grilled.

Fatties are nice as well. If you really want to kill your guests cook up a bacon explosion.

stevo
Runner

Post by stevo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:03 pm

Grillman, ABT's are so versitile that you can even make them for kids. I used to make mine with a whole jap but have switched to only half. This was to please a variety of quests. If I knew it was just the guys eating them and didn't have to worry about a kid (or my wife) eating them then I would make full peppers. There are so many ways to make ABT's but the best one will be the one you like most.

Have fun

ALL IN first hand :wink: :wink:

Peter
Location:Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Post by Peter » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Armadillo eggs, smoked eggs, bacon wrapped scallops and a bowl or 2 of red.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.

doogster
Chicken Choker
The middle number please (3):3
Antispam:No

Post by doogster » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:12 pm

I second ABT's and moinks.
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.

Gattis Grill
Gofor

Post by Gattis Grill » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:29 pm

Grillman wrote:
stevo wrote:I assume that ABT's are already on the menu so I would add some jerk chicken wings. Grilled pizza would be cool too. top it off with some bbq nachos. Just things that I am craving now :D b6
O.K., I'll admit it, I know little about ABT's (shameful I know). Isn't that a jalapeno wrapped in bacon? I'm trying to feed my friends...not kill them! I'm assuming I'm missing something...

Slice them in half ( the long way) and take a teaspoon and carve out all of the white stuff and seeds, soak them in salt water for an hour and stuff with cream cheese, wrap with bacon.

My 4 and 6 year olds eat them like crazy!!!

stevo
Runner

Post by stevo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:19 pm

Yup gattis has got it. See you can tune them down as much as you want. Have a good one!!