Hocks & hooves

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator:BBQTalk Moderators

AndrewTRSmith
Gofor
The middle number please (3):3
Antispam:No
Hocks & hooves

Post by AndrewTRSmith » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:00 pm

Hey everyone,

My local butcher always has hocks & hooves available and i'm wondering what the heck i could do with them. They are nice and cheap so i don't mind experimenting but is there much usable meat on them?

Thanks
Andrew

Trev
Pork Puller
The middle number please (3):5

Re: Hocks & hooves

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:54 pm

Andrew, I'm not sure about hooves, but pork hocks are dynamite smoked and used in split pea soup, to name one applications. Early this year I smoked some hocks (and bacon). Here are a few pics. They are great in soups, stews and many other places, too. If they're brined that's even better. --> http://www.bbqtalk.ca/forums/viewtopic. ... cks#p23613
Hocks do have a pretty good amount of meat on them, but also quite a bit of fat, skin and bone as well.
I think they're a real comfort food and I've liked them since I was a kid living on the farm.
b2
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Peter
Location:Temiskaming Shores, ON, That's a little bit north of the Coke - Pepsi line.

Post by Peter » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:08 pm

Right on, Trev. Hocks are great food. They are the base for the "ragout de pattes de cochon" that is so well known among Acadians. They make one of the richest stocks I have ever used and smoked first even makes them better.

Hooves, I'm not so sure about either.
Peter
Now OFFICIALLY retired

The older I get; the better I was.

SmokeHound
Gofor

Post by SmokeHound » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:56 pm

Hey there Andrew....

I can't say much about the hooves... but I can tell you several uses for the hocks (you've already heard about the split pea soup....). Cook the hocks with a pound or two of Great Northern beans (along with onions, garlic, and other aromatics) in a large crock pot for 8-12 hours.... That's a fine dish!

Also, I recently made a KILLER batch of homemade baked beans using ham hocks... They came out way better than I expected them to. I smoked the hocks for 2 hours first, then just dumped them in the pot with the beans and the sauce.

Navy bean soup!

Have fun with those! ;-)

SH
New Braunfels offset wood smoker
Brinkman 5-burner 60K BTU gas grill
DIY 4' fire/BBQ pit
Weber-Smokey Joe

Iamarealbigdog
Runner

Post by Iamarealbigdog » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:13 am

Roasted smoked pork hocks from the Blue Moon just outside of Kitchener...

To die for 8)

b3

stevo
Runner

Post by stevo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:16 pm

K people now I'm hungry and I just finished my grilled pizza :D :D :D
sit down, shut up and smoke some butts!!!!

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:39 pm

I would doubt there'd much, if anything, useful from a hoof, it's basically a huge toenail. I have a nursing degree, I also have a biology degree, primary focus of study in animal anatomy. Cows, Pigs, Horses (hey you can eat horse meat if you so desire) are unguligrade, ungulates, they walk on their points (the very tips of their toes). 3 digits are vestigial, 2 develop into the hoof we all know. This is all to increase the efficiency of walking. All the muscles for the lower leg are in the upper leg, all the muscles for the foot are in the lower leg (hock) since there's no fine movement of the digits I'd guess there's next to no muscle in the foot. In a person the muscles in the hand work the fingers. The muscles in the forearm work the hand, that would be far meatier.

Oh, this could lead to a segue. I little shot at PETA. They had an article about how it's cruel to declaw a cat (written by a vet, who evidently doesn't understand anatomy) because they walk on their points. To quote this site: B.S. Cats (and dogs, woof) are digitigrade. Like YOU walking on tip toes, as opposed to a ballerina on points.
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.

kevinv
Runner

Post by kevinv » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:52 pm

Hocks are good to cook. The only thing I have ever seen hooves used for is dog chew treats.

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:23 pm

Hocks do sound good, I got to try some. b5a
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.