Rehydrating Pulled Pork?

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator:BBQTalk Moderators

TheSmokingDude
knows what a "fatty" is
The middle number please (3):3
Antispam:No
Rehydrating Pulled Pork?

Post by TheSmokingDude » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:31 pm

Hey gang,

Yesterday, I smoked my first shoulder and I ended up over smoking it a bit. The meat was nice but the bark was too rough since after 19 hours my meat was only at 142 degrees, so I had to crank it to 300 for the last couple of hours. I don't know why I felt compelled to ignore everything I've read and "wing it", but I did.

Anyways, I have some of the guys coming over tomorrow for some sammidges and I was planning on re-smoking the pork for a few hours before they showed up. My plan is jus ti put all the meat on a wire rack and put that on the Traeger.

Now, I don't want to dry out the meat, so do you think it's advisable to place a bowl of water or apple juice in the traeger as well? I notice the WSM have a water tray of some sort and I'm wondering if I'm not missing out on something here. Maybe I'll spray the meat down in AJ before smoking...

Any thoughts are most welcome. Here's a couple of picks, you can see how dried out the meat close to the bark was. (I'm not too busted up since this was just a practice for next weekend, when I am doing 3 of them for a family BBQ...and I know what I did wrong)

Thanks!

The meat was still tasty, mind you!

----
http://www.eatapedia.com
Collaborative Cooking!
--
Traeger L'il Tex - 2008
Weber Platinum B - 1995

Adrienne
Rib Rubber
The middle number please (3):5

Re: Rehydrating Pulled Pork?

Post by Adrienne » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:24 am

Pull it, put it into a foil tray, add apple juice to hydrate, along with a bit of rub to add some flavour, and reheat it. No need to 'resmoke it for a few hours', IMHO
Many thanks to sponsors supporting my team:
Traeger Canada ~ Smokinlicious Gourmet Wood Products ~ Brant Food ~ Cooshack ~ Jim Bray Trailer Sales ~ Chicago 58 ~ Hogewoning Toyota

CBJ# 39745 (there's my BBQ Goddess # Jim)

SmokinQ
Pork Puller

Post by SmokinQ » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:04 am

I agree. Pull it and add some apple juice and reheat it when required. I add some BBQ sauce in as well, not much but just a little bit and allow those to add sauce later if they want.

TheSmokingDude
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by TheSmokingDude » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:18 am

Thanks for the info, folks. I will do just that: Dilute some sauce with AJ, maybe a bit of rub and put it back out for an hour or so before company shows up.

I hear tell that twice smoked pulled pork is spectacular...so I have high hopes!
----
Collaborative Cooking!
--
Traeger L'il Tex - 2008
Weber Platinum B - 1995

TheSmokingDude
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by TheSmokingDude » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:36 pm

Well, that sucked. I added too much AJ/sauce/rub...asd I was afraid it was drying out. OK, so the biggest lesson I learned is that next time I'll make it and serve it right away. Now I have to do it right with 3 shoulders this coming weekend. It's OK, I'm ready!!
----
Collaborative Cooking!
--
Traeger L'il Tex - 2008
Weber Platinum B - 1995

SmokinQ
Pork Puller

Post by SmokinQ » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Sometimes things seem dry but in reality they are not. I did a big cook and had a lot to put in the freezer. When the pork cooled down and I started filling vac bags to put in the freezer I thought things were really dry and would require a lot of juice to bring back to life. However when I put the bags in boiling water for a while I noticed that the pork was vary moist indeed and did not require any juice at all.

Next time try freezing or cooling in vac bags and bring back to life in boiling water. Another option is to not add any juice until the meat has been brought back up to a good serving temperature then if things look a little dry add some liquid in.

ROXY
Pit Master

Post by ROXY » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:04 pm

Wow.. 19 hours for a should and it was only at 140.. What temp were you cookin at..??
3 ProBBQ Frontiers
ProBBQ Excel 20
WSM with ProBBQ stacker
Chargriller Smokin Pro
2 - 50 gallon barrels awaiting conversion

TheSmokingDude
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by TheSmokingDude » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:14 pm

I had the digital control on the Traeger set to "Smoke", so that's about 190-200 degrees. I know better this time though...225 for 8 - 10 hours, till I hit an internal temp of 190-195. Picked up some "Bone Suckin Sauce" from the fine folks at Chilly Chiles today in anticipation.
----
Collaborative Cooking!
--
Traeger L'il Tex - 2008
Weber Platinum B - 1995

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:31 pm

The concensus seems to be vacuum sealing for freezing, plus it makes your own boil in the bag meal.
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.

stevo
Runner

Post by stevo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:19 pm

Here is what I do. Cook, pull, eat. All leftovers go into a zip lock bag warm. Right into the freezer. When I reheat I do it two ways. One is just on the microwave and the other is in the oven. For the oven I put the slowly defrosted meat into a tinfoil pan, poor a few tablespoons of my butt sauce over top, cover tightly with foil and bring up to temp with oven set at 250-300 deg. depending on the amount of time I have.
sit down, shut up and smoke some butts!!!!

TheSmokingDude
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by TheSmokingDude » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:53 pm

Hey all,

One last follow up:

The following weekend, I did up 3 shoulders in the Traeger at 225, for about 1.5 hours per pound. Started them at 1:00 AM and we were pulling by about 2:30. The finished product was delicious and people were generous both with the servings and the compliments.

Oh, for the record, 3 shoulders makes a TON of frigging meat. ;-)

Thanks to all for all the tips and advice, I certainly appreciate it!
----
Collaborative Cooking!
--
Traeger L'il Tex - 2008
Weber Platinum B - 1995

SmokeHound
Gofor

Post by SmokeHound » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:05 am

Last weekend, I did a little experiment on this issue.... I ended up with one of my butts slightly overdone. I pulled it and set it aside. Typically, I've always used a tablespoon of AJ to re-hydrate any leftover PP.... but this time, I saved some of the crusty fat cap and placed that on top of the leftover meat. (I was a little worried that it would come out too greasy but, lo and bhold, it did not. Actually, it came out really good.)

I just placed the fat on top of the pulled meat, covered the dish tightly with foil and put in a very low oven for about 20-ish minutes. Yanked the fat blob off the pulled meat, tossed the meat in the juices at the bottom of the dish and served it. It was perfect - not dry at all and not greasy. Maybe next time I'll try doing this with a little extra rub thrown in for good measure!

My dog had to wait for his fat cap, however....so I'm not sure he's too pleased with my find..... :!:

b3
New Braunfels offset wood smoker
Brinkman 5-burner 60K BTU gas grill
DIY 4' fire/BBQ pit
Weber-Smokey Joe