Slaw on BBQ?

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator:BBQTalk Moderators

nashbama
Gofor
The middle number please (3):5
Slaw on BBQ?

Post by nashbama » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:39 am

I had a cook out a few weeks ago and a discussion started about whether or not it's appropriate to put slaw on BBQ.

I have friends who say it's the best way to do it. My brother in law went to a funeral in Texas a few months back, afterwards a gentleman made some BBQ and served it with slaw on. He said that's the real way to do it, folks who really know BBQ put slaw on it.

On the other hand, some folks consider it close to a sin. Lewis Gizzard said "God got even with North Carolina for putting slaw on barbecue. He (or She; excuse, please) did. He or She sent North Carolina good ol' Jesse Helms."

Just curious to see the different opinions on the subject, as a BBQ connoisseur, what do you do? Slaw on the side or on the bbq?

SmokinQ
Pork Puller

Re: Slaw on BBQ?

Post by SmokinQ » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:20 am

Slaw no slaw, sauce no sauce, vinegar sauce, mustard sauce, tomato sauce these are all regional customs and there is no hard and fast rule of what is right and wrong only a thousand different opinions.

In some joints in Texas you can't even get BBQ sauce to put on your ribs as they are served up dry. In KC you will be hard pressed to find ribs with out a thick layer of sauce. In parts of NC you get a vinegar sauce on your PP where as other parts of NC you get a ketchup based thin sauce and in SC you get mustard base sauce.

Even the word BBQ itself means different things. In Austin if you go in a joint and ask for BBQ you will get Brisket, if you go to NC and ask for BBQ you will get PP and KC you will get ribs.

As for slaw I love to pile it on my PP sammies. It does not look like it should taste good and the concept is still off to me but it sure tastes good. I would never serve slaw on a sammie but offer it up on the side and let people decide themselves as it is still a strange concept to many.

I still have some family members who still put mayo and tomato on their sammies. I find it very strange and a bit of a sin but the joy of good BBQ is that it is what you make it.

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:55 pm

I love slaw but I usually have it on the side, if at all. Like was mentioned, it's a regional thing. I wasn't so sure I'd like mustard sauce but I flipped for it, as did my wife and kids. It's a staple now, everytime I've got PP on the table. Part of the fun with this whole thing is the experimentation.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

kevinv
Runner

Post by kevinv » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:18 pm

As everyone has said, each person has their own idea. Myself I like slaw on hotdogs, and bugers at times. We also serve it as a side at many bbqs we do.

ROXY
Pit Master

Post by ROXY » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:11 pm

I like slaw on the sammich as well as on the side. There really is no other way in my home as if I am cooking a butt my darling wife insists I make my world famous slaw to pile high on the pulled pork.

There are those that love slaw on pulled pork and the unwashed masses... :wink:
3 ProBBQ Frontiers
ProBBQ Excel 20
WSM with ProBBQ stacker
Chargriller Smokin Pro
2 - 50 gallon barrels awaiting conversion

dogthebear
Chicken Choker

Post by dogthebear » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:29 am

Loved SmokinQ's response...................

and Roxy,, that photog,,, is,,sniff,sniff,,,, just beautiful,, brings a wee tear to me eye.

doogster
Chicken Choker
The middle number please (3):3
Antispam:No

Post by doogster » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:55 pm

I agree, thing 'o' beauty there.

I actually found this place when I stumbled onto Harvey's Youtube vids (essential watching to anyone who aint seen 'em). Love his apporach, first thing I learned from them: do it the way you like it. This site is diametrically opposed to the Cookshack forum. There they really have the THIS IS REAL Q, THE ONLY WAY IS THIS WAY attitude. F'rinstance Harvey's take on sauce (don't remember the exact vid) he says putists will say it aint real barbecue, you wanna eat it dry, go ahead, but don't let anyone tell you that you can't have it.
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.

Burtess
Gofor

Post by Burtess » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:41 pm

doogster wrote:I agree, thing 'o' beauty there.

I actually found this place when I stumbled onto Harvey's Youtube vids (essential watching to anyone who aint seen 'em). Love his apporach, first thing I learned from them: do it the way you like it. This site is diametrically opposed to the Cookshack forum. There they really have the THIS IS REAL Q, THE ONLY WAY IS THIS WAY attitude. F'rinstance Harvey's take on sauce (don't remember the exact vid) he says putists will say it aint real barbecue, you wanna eat it dry, go ahead, but don't let anyone tell you that you can't have it.
Doogster, can you post a link to Harvey's videos on Youtube, I want to check them out....

You mention this "Cookshack" forum. I Googled it and had a look..... the Cookshack is an electric smoker?????? And they have a "THIS IS REAL Q, THE ONLY WAY IS THIS WAY attitude" ???? Is this possible when they are using electric?? LOL.....

Burt :)
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
18.5" OTS
Smokey Joe Platinum
Sterling gasser (Broil King) with SS grates

bbbrown
Rib Rubber

Post by bbbrown » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:09 pm

Burt,
Look at the top part of every page.
Watch the latest videos on you tube . com.
As far as the cookshack site goes, there's a lot of good info there.
They make great pellet cookers also.

Bryan b6

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:44 am

Here's the link for the main page, then browse to your heart's content. Have fun.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... type=&aq=f

nashbama
Gofor

Post by nashbama » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:12 pm

I pretty much agree with the consensus here. Everyone has their own preference, if you like it go for it. Just curious to see how others thought about it.

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:25 am

That's the bottom line mate, there's gonna be purists everywhere telling you you're doing it wrong. I mean you make an Egyptian dish some pillark is gonna jump on you saying this sauce is supposed to be made with camel urine (or whatever). You know what I mean. I can't get camel pee here, and wouldn't actually want it in a dish if I could. Prolly be bloody expensive too.

BTW that was purely hypothetical, I'm sure Egyptians do not use camel urine in their food. If they do, how do they collect it?

kevinv
Runner

Post by kevinv » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:19 am

All I can say is if you like it, then fine. Make it that way. We always talk about the perfect steak or burger or whatever. But I guarantee you that some will say theirs is better or you did it wrong because you used something you should not.

my 2 cents.

h20loo
Gofor

Post by h20loo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:55 am

I love the creamy coleslaw on my PP. Its a texture thing as well as the taste. Often I have to suggest friends just try it to see if they like it-usually results in a sale!! Its fun to make the different regional recipes and some times I'll make a few different sides so we can compare. One rule tho- if someone drowns my PP in ketchup they don't get invited back!!.
Roxy that looks awesome!

SmokeHound
Gofor

Post by SmokeHound » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:34 am

h20loo wrote:One rule tho- if someone drowns my PP in ketchup they don't get invited back!!.
IMHO, putting ketchup on PP should be illegal!! ;-)
New Braunfels offset wood smoker
Brinkman 5-burner 60K BTU gas grill
DIY 4' fire/BBQ pit
Weber-Smokey Joe