Beef on a spit

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator:BBQTalk Moderators

bluesmantiny
Gofor
The middle number please (3):5
Beef on a spit

Post by bluesmantiny » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:12 pm

OK say you were doing a huge roast on a spit over an open row of hot coals.....how long do you think it would take per pound to cook a big arse roast.......

Thanks
Tiny
Team Cedar Grilling
www.cedargrilling.com
<*})))><

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.

doogster
Chicken Choker
The middle number please (3):3
Antispam:No

Re: Beef on a spit

Post by doogster » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:13 am

I think this really is a case if digital probe (bend over, you said it was a big arse) and it's done when it's done.
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.

Iamarealbigdog
Runner

Post by Iamarealbigdog » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:05 pm

did it, done it, been there... got the T-shirt

Are you talking full prime rib or hip of beef also depends drastically on the heat of the coals and distance from them. The varations can be endless. I have had the prime rib go real slow for 5 hours, I did not see a big difference from the 3 hr version, both were real nice.

The hip I did at a very slow rate to bring up the temp slow, this I went 10 hrs * two hours longer then I expected. Next time I will give it more heat.

Not much help, but gives you an idea...

Trev
Pork Puller

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:24 am

Doesn't the spit (the rod part of the set-up) heat up and cook the meat slightly from the inside out? I've been wanting to do a prime rib roast this way but I've resisted because I don't want it to come out over-done due to the spit cooking the middle part.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

ourman
Runner

Post by ourman » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:25 pm

I have cooked numerous roasts on a spit (and large ones)never over open fire but have never had the spit cook from the inside...i dont think it could be possible the heat has to penetrate the meat to get to the steel...on my cooker i cook about 10 lbs per hour at 400 degrees ..a 30 lb roast takes 3 hrs give or take it will be 140-145 inside and well done outside and you slice it according to what your guests want...now an open pit will be way different depending on wood,wind,etc..

ROXY
Pit Master

Post by ROXY » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:11 am

Tiny:

I cooked off 12 whole outside rounds this past winter at an average temp of 275 and they took over 8 hours to come to medium well. If your not cooking in a pit I would think it will take a while indeed, though I would figure the temps would be higher..

Sorry I cant help ya but I have never cooker large hunks of meat, open air over coals.
3 ProBBQ Frontiers
ProBBQ Excel 20
WSM with ProBBQ stacker
Chargriller Smokin Pro
2 - 50 gallon barrels awaiting conversion