Super 8 vs triple tube burners

Discussion of traditional "low & slow" BBQ and high heat Grilling using the following heat sources: charcoal, propane, natural gas and wood. Discuss all equipment, merchandise and outdoor cookin in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures etc.

Moderator:BBQTalk Moderators

kwantz
knows what a "fatty" is
The middle number please (3):3
Antispam:No
Super 8 vs triple tube burners

Post by kwantz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:41 pm

I am in the process of buying a new BBQ. In particular the Broil King line of bbqs. I dont need a very large bbq since its just me and my wife here.

I am looking at getting the Broil King Crown 20 just the basic bbq, no rottisery or side burner (I dont feel like I would use it enough to spend the extra dough.

My question is. Is there a significant difference between the crown 20 and signet 20. They are the exact same size, the only difference are a few cosmetic things, and the burners, one is super 8 and one is triple tube.

Does one get hotter than the other? will they both be good for searing? will one be better than the other at searing? Also what is the best way for low and slow on a super 8 burner grill? Just put one side on low, put a drip pan with water on the other side of the burner which is turned off? I am on a tight budget and wanted a grill that will lasy awhile. The crown 20 is 299 deliverd, assembled and comes with a tank, and the signet is 499. is the 200 dollars for the 3 tubular burners really worth the extra dough?

Burtess
Gofor

Re: Super 8 vs triple tube burners

Post by Burtess » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:23 pm

I will give you my experience with these two grills.
I have an older (5 yrs) Crown 70 with the Super 8 burner. The box is smaller than the new model however. I used this grill on average 3X per week for 5 years before getting a new burner (on OMC as well). It heats very fast and gets very hot. I am still using this unit and it works great.

I bought a Signet 90 earlier this year. Found that it did not heat up nearly as fast although it does get hot with time. The box seems to be too large for the firepower. I had problems with the centre tube burner and a very orange "pulsating flame", and the burner would glow bright red. After performing a bunch of burn tests with a new valve system and ruling out a bunch of other things, OMC was unable to rectify the problem, and I returned the grill.

If I was to buy a Broil King again I would for sure go with the models with the Super 8. Plus the price difference leans me this way as well.

For indirect cooking (such as with a beer-can-chicken) it works great with the opposite side of the burner on and a water pan under the food.

Burt :)
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
18.5" OTS
Smokey Joe Platinum
Sterling gasser (Broil King) with SS grates

kwantz
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by kwantz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:26 pm

is your broil king good at holding lower temps for low and slow cooks? also how long would a tank last doing a 8 hour or so low and slow cook?

kwantz
knows what a "fatty" is

Post by kwantz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:40 pm

also your saying the crown 20 is a better deal than the signet 20?

also broil mate at home depot has this model on sale.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... PartNumber

it looks like the exact same bbq except for it has "H" stainless burners instead of the super 8. Is tehre that much of a difference? Isnt broil mate and broil king both made by onward and made in canada?

canadaodyowner
Gofor
The middle number please (3):5

Post by canadaodyowner » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:07 pm

Real experts will chime in, but IMHO a tank of propane may not go far if you do 8 hours of low n slow frequently. But I'm biased because I do my low n slow on big green eggs.

doogster
Chicken Choker

Post by doogster » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:16 am

Broil King? Broil Mate? Are they the same thing folks? Or is this like Cookshack and Smokin' Tex?
When it comes to beatin's, baby you deserve the best.

kevinv
Runner
The middle number please (3):5

Post by kevinv » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:12 am

I have and older broil king that I have used a lot. The burner is starting to go, but it keeps on going. A few week ago the regulator started leaking. Got that fix, and then noticed the burner was getting in bad shape. anyway, it is over 5 years old, and still going strong.

My grill aera is a good size. I can get 6 big steak on with potatoes easy. I did get better grills then the cheap ones that come with it.

I have not done an 8 hour low and slow yet, but did a few 6 hr and it worked well. I find the tempature goes up and down a lot. Also find it does not hold the heat well. The gas seemed to last well for my 6 hr cook. I also find the temp bounces a lot if it is windy out. Unaversal parts can be found for it, so repair is possable.

On a scale of 10 I would give it 8 to 8.5. Fow a lower priced grill they are great. The only extra I wish I had got with it would be the rotisarie. I know it can be added. :D

Just my 2 cents.